How do you know?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clb

Health is a big concern of mine when it comes to pets as I seem to have bad luck. For example, a couple days after getting our cat we went to the vet because he had eye problems. Then a year after that he had to have emergency surgery due to urethra blockages. Have also had pet rats who died three days after getting them. Then had pet rat with a nasty parasite, and so forth.

My question is when looking to buy a chinchilla how can you tell if he/she is healthy? Besides obvious things, like being dirty, are there other signs?

Being dirty doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy, the only thing it gurantees is that the chinchilla hasn't been properly dusted. Outward signs of illness may or may not include:

wheezing
sneezing
snot/gunk coming from eyes or nose
excessive pawing at the mouth
excessive teeth grinding
excessive lethargy
damp paws, chin, chest, fur around eyes
Poop can also be an indicator, but since each chin's poop is different you need to know what is normal for that particular animal.

If a chin is displaying these symptoms then they need to see a vet asap. Unfortunately the outward signs usually don't develop until a condition has progressed. Dental disease can start causing issues at any age. Your best bet is to find a breeder in your area that focuses on health and genetic quality. Again, there are no gurantees, but I'd say your chances are much better then getting a petstore or rescue chin. All chins need a loving home, but there's a greater risk for issues with a chin from an unknown background.

Chinchilla=vet fund, any chinchilla from anywhere can and will get sick or come down with a chronic condition such as teeth or gut issues that require long term vet care. This is a animal that when gets sick or stressed won't eat, when it does not eat its gut can die and its teeth can overgrow, put simpley.

Brittany: Thank you. I wasn't really thinking when I put dirty as an example lol. I kind of was thinking of going the breeder route more then pet store. Hopefully the two I was thinking of that are on here will still be around in a few years.

ticklechin: I am well aware of that and do plan on having a savings for vet visits before we get a chinchilla. It's another reason why we don't have one yet, saving up for everything first.

Latest posts

Back