How do you feed hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feed hay?

• Loose

Votes: 62 51.7%
  • Cubed

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Both

Votes: 52 43.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
What do you mean by "cubed"? Like compacted?
How do you do that? I see them sold at petstores but they don't so nice & fresh as the loose ones.

Loose for me. Altho i wish it were cubed. Ive never had much luck with getting any of mine to take the cubed. They only pick at it.

Loose, he didn't care for cubes. He gets high quality Timothy Hay.

both as well, but I also have allergic reactions to loose hay so my husband hay's the chins

I feed loose, timothy, oat and bluegrass. I have timothy cubes...he doesnt really like them, just nibbles here and there.

I put my hay in a fleece pocket I made:). My chin seems to love it.

feeding loose timothy right now but wondering what other loose hay is safe for chins.

Because the cubes are compacted, I remember reading somewhere that it destroys some of the structure of the fiber and chins don't ingest enough of it? I don't understand the mechanics too well and I don't know whether crushed cellulose is worse (digestively/nutritionally speaking) than non crushed. Also, I'm not sure whether compacting the hay would molecularly crush the fiber, I would think it is plausible though. Does anyone know?

I feed loose timothy and loose meadow. Occasionally alfalfa (I bought because I didn't think her teeth were orange enough) but that's just feeding her a few strands through the bars once in a blue moon. I'll probably have that bag forever.

Back