How do males get along with babies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horslvr123

How do male chins get along with baby chins?

The female I got a little over a month ago had a baby this morning and besides her and the baby, they are in with male who is not the father of the kit.

Ive searched the forum and cant seem to find any info on how family groups get along.

Im just wondering if the male will purposly try and hurt the baby.

Im getting the male neutered soon, so if he breeds her before then, that will be the last litter.

Oh.. and how young does a chin have to be to be neutered? I believe the baby is a boy and want to get him neutered as well when he is old enough.

Thank you for any help.

Firstly, unless you want the female to get pregnant again you need to remove the male (or move the female to a kit safe cage if the one they are in now is not kit safe). You do have a kit safe cage, I take it?
The male is going to want to mate with the female almost as soon as she has finished giving birth (within 12 hours or so anyway) - if you had not removed him then it may already be too late. Jot down a note 111 days from whenever the kit was born & prepare for another litter.

Some males are great with kits & help keep them warm, clean etc but some are not.

Neutering is usually done around 6 months old & the male needs to be kept separate from the female for at least 6 weeks afterwards.

I hope you're not planning on castrating the 2 males and putting them with the female. Even though you get them both castrated, they may still fight over a female, especially since one of them has already been in a mating situation. That could be a very risky situation.

I would not chance having the male in with the baby since he is not the father. I have had males be fine with a baby that isn't theirs, but I have also had the males kill the babies. I even had one male who would kill his own kits if they were male, but would let female babies live. When I figured out what was going on I took him out of breeding. I would definitely not have 2 males in the same cage together if there is a female in the room.

Back