How do I make a house?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sindmama

I've been looking everywhere on this forum but can't seem to find any posts on how to make a wood house. Can someone tell me the best type(s) of wood and how to assemble so that it is chin safe? Thanks in advance!

Cindy

Kiln dried pine would be the best kind of wood to use, and can be found at Lowes, Home Depot etc. Once you have the wood you would cut the pieces for the house in whatever size you want, and either leave a side open, or cut a door in with something like a scroll saw. Once you have all your pieces cut you can use nontoxic glue(elmer's) to assemble the house. Glue is safer for the chins than nails, screws etc. because if the chins chew through the wood they could hurt themselves on the metal. I hope this answered your questions, but if you need some more help feel free to pm me and I can walk you through it:))

You can get KD pine at Home Depot. They can cut it to the demensions you want if you can't do it yourself. Try to pick out a flat piece. Then you can use Elmers Non-Toxic glue to hold it together. Make sure you have something heavy to hold it down, or use clamps. Let it dry for at least 24 hours and sand if needed. :)

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks to both of you. This is exactly what I needed to get started!

Back