How do I know when it's time for playtime?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morganpanda

It's been three days since I got Sigma. The first two days he really didn't show much interest at all in me. He was more interested in his surroundings. But today, we came dangerously close to having him step up onto my hand on his own. He certainly is sniffing at me- at my hand, my voice, when I clean his cage he gets pretty close to see what it is (normally right before darting off to his "safety" spot. But today, he really didn't dart.

I want to take him out to play in the bathroom, but I also don't want to freak him out with me. I want him to be comfortable with me being there. He did almost bite me- not the nibbling, he was out to warn me about something even though I wasn't the one moving closer to him.

Just curious if this is a sign that we should start the bonding process or if I should let him get used to his cage.

Good news, though! He finally discovered his loose hay, and might I add he's an addict! He finishes it every night! :)

Aww bless :) If it were me and when I got my chin I let her stay in her cage for a week or so but thats mainly due to her being so young. I let her get used to my voice and id put my hand in her cage everyday. Sit near his cage and talk to him or read a book let him get used to his new home and owner

For me, it depends on the chin, some got play right away because they were well adjusted chins and not stressed out, some had to stay in the cage for a month or so before I felt they were ready due to being stressed spazzes.

I'm not sure why people seem to think letting their chin out to play = bonding. Bonding starts from the moment you bring the little guy home. Talking, singing, reading, sitting near them, carrying them around, etc. is all bonding. I can see how playtime continues on the bonding process once they are comfortable with you but for the most part when out they are running and bouncing around, and pretty much ignoring the humans (other then to use them as another thing to climb on/bounce off of). I wait until they are comfortable with me holding them before letting them have playtime in a room, or at the very least comfortable enough to jump into a box. The last thing you want to have to do is chase him to get him to go home. However if I remember right from your previous posts Sigma is just a baby, chins under 6 months really shouldn't have playtime yet, they need their energy for growing. That should give you plenty of time to bond with him before letting him out to run around a room. That doesn't mean he has to stay in the cage all time though, once he gets comfortable enough to allow you to pick him up. You can carry him around, have him sit on your lap and pet him, and allow very controlled play like on a chair (with solid arms) or couch so he can get away from you without getting out of your reach.

Latest posts

Back