How do I get my new hedgie to get used to me?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I just purchased my new 6 week salt and pepper hedgehog two days ago. I wanted to know how I should handle him and also what to do in order to get the hedgehog used to me. It seems like every time I go to pick him up he raises his quills and hisses at me. Does anyone have any advice?

Amanda.

That is normal hedgehog behavior. Some grow out of it, some don't. Some don't care to be cuddled and these are the majority, though some do love it. Most hedgies aren't going to react well to being picked up, it's quite common and normal for them to roll into a ball, you just pick them up anyway and hold them while you're watching tv, doing something where you aren't moving around too much and with a lot of time and patience they tend to unroll and sit with you. Once you are at the point where your hedgie will unroll while you're just sitting with him you can try to pet him, some HATE having their quills pet so you may want to try petting his chin or the fur on his sides. Mine loves having his sides pet but doesn't ten to stay still for more than a few minutes. Especially when young they can be quite active and hate being still unless they are sleepy.

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll just try holding him rather than petting his quills and hope for the best. I hope he comes around soon and stops rolling in a ball every time I try to pick him up. It makes me so discouraged. ): Thanks for your reply! :)

If you have only had him a couple of days, being a little defensive is completely understandable. He is still adjusting to his new life and home. Be patient, continue to hold and interact with him, and if he doesn't like something, back off a little. A little patience and understanding of his likes/dislikes and a few mealworms can go a long way to bonding with these little ones.

Latest posts

Back