How do I get my chin used to me?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayley2012

So I got my first chin 2 days ago.
I love her to death, she is so entertaining. But I have one problem...She's super shy.
I'm not sure how to get her used to me. She'll sniff me and nibble on my fingers and nails, but when i try to pet her for more than a second she runs away and hides in her house.
I also let her run around my bathroom (made sure it was completely safe first) and she crawled up on my lap. but when i moved she ran.
Any tips for getting her used to me faster?

You have had her for 2 days. It can take years for a chin to warm up to it's owner. Give it time. She hasn't even settled into her new home yet, let alone gotten used to a new human. Rushing it isn't going to help anything. Let her settle in, get used to everything, then worry about her getting used to you.

How old is your chin? Chins under the age of 9 months should not have playtime as they are still growing. In fact I wouldn't take your chin out of her cage until you've had her for at least 2 weeks. She needs to get used to you and her surroundings before being exposed to play time and the dangers it sometimes causes.

It can take a while. Each chinchilla is different. I have one chin who has lived here for three years and she just recently let me touch her feet when she is sleeping. She is excited when I pull out the applewood. But thats about it. She does know her name and will look at me. But if I get close to her cage for a smooch she runs or kacks at me. I laugh over the kack.
Some of my chins like a scratch. Others do not. And some like to smooch.

You stated that your chin is grooming you. Thats a great start. When you place hay on a shelf and move your hands around in it they sometimes will sit and eat with you. Offering wood chews or the occasional shredded wheat can bring them around. I only give my chins half a wheat.

I also have a playpen I can sit in. They will hop all over and chew on me.
Having your chin sit on your lap in the bathroom is nice. Before I remodeled my bathroom I would let one of my chins run around in there with me. He was my first chin. I would sit and read a book and he would run and come back to check on me. Over time he learned that he could jump on my shoulder and leap up to the sink and back down again.
Sounds like your off to a good start. Just remember chins are not cuddly by nature.

2 days is definitely not enough time for your chin to have become accustomed to the new environment, new smells, new sounds, and you. It takes time and patience, but your chin will become more social if you keep putting in the effort. Spend a lot of time sitting with her at her cage. Get her used to your presence. Let her come to you. My chin took around a month to start to become really comfortable around me, but she is now quite lovable and affectionate. Time and patience pays off.

There's some really good advice above and I would like to add as well that even just sitting in the same room as your chin with her in the cage and gently talking to her would slowly get her used to your presence. She has got a lot of adapting to do in her new environment and I agree you should wait atleast a week before you let her out to play. It's alot for your little baby to take in. Good luck though and you must remember to allow your chin to get to know you on her terms. Never try and force anything as that could delay the whole process.

Most people say 6 months but the reason is that if they use all of their calories and nutrition in play, then they have little to nothing to use for growing.

I'm having the same issues as the first post. I've had Pepper a little over a week. I know that's still a short amount of time. But I want to ask how come some days shell let me take her out and shell just sit on me as I pet her and then other days shell be a wiggle worm and seem to not want to be held?

Start out gradually. Any time the chin gets stressed or scared, it acts as a set back because they rebuild any metaphoric walls they may have let down. I've had my chin for about 3 weeks and started out by just sitting next to him and let him smell me. Since I've been working with him, I can pet him and he'll crawl on my hand to take a treat and has been relaxing more when he sleeps (he used to sleep sitting up but now he lays down and sprawls out) but still jumps to his feet if I make a sudden movement in the room or theres a loud noise. So it'll take and you'll have to make baby steps but it is very much worth it :)

i've had ruby for almost 5 months now, and she never really let me pet here until like 2 or 3 months ago. but i just sit in the room with her all the time and take her out and play with her and just let her know that i'm there. i would put my hands in her cage and just sit them there so she would get used to my hands. now she gets mad at me if i dont pay attention to her every second. like if my phone rings, she seems to get mad and sit on my phone while i try to answer it.

Back