How do I bond with my new Chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katechinstevens

katepikapaya
I got female chin, Pika, a few days ago. I have just been sitting by the cage talking to her and occasionally putting my hand against the cage, letting her smell it. When I had to change her bedding I also put my hand out near the bottom of the cage and also letting her smell. She seems to be very skittish. Once, while changing her water, I accidentally brushed her tail and she freaked out. I was just wondering what I should do to bond with her. She is a 4 year old rescue, so if that changes the way I should bond with her. Also, is it normal that they kinda nip at your fingers when they smell your hand.
Thanks for any help,

Kate and Pika:chin2::chin2::chin2:

Mine were really skittish and still only let you touch them if there are any other people about. I found that when i let them out they were far more friendly.

I sat in the hall way and put a little tunnel i had bought her out near their cage, i just sat and read a book and eventually they were climbing on me to see what i was doing. Now i let them put they sit at the door at dead on 9pm which is when they come out for a run. I feed them a rosehip or something tasty, they come eat out my hand and go for a run, then when they need to go back to their cage i sit and do their hay, food and water and one comes back strait away and the other comes back for a sand bath.

One of my chins is very skittish. She tends to run when you try to pet her. I usually just let my hand sit in her cage until she comes to me, then she'll let me pet her. I find it normal that all my chins nibble at my fingers when I place my hands in their cage.

To bond with her, you should first probably sit next to the cage and talk to her for a while or let you hands sit in her cage and see how she reacts. My chin never really calmed down but, she does love to be pet when she see's my hand relaxing in her cage. Dust baths are also a great way to bond, all chins love dust baths! The link above is a really good thing to read too!

Fairly new owner but I seem to have bonded fairly well with my chin, Garrus. I've also have experience with older, rescue pets.

Keep in mind is that Pika is an older pet. She is set in her ways and was familiar with the surroundings she was in. I don't know her story but if she's a rescue, she is probably already very stressed out. She's been bounced around a lot and is no longer in an environment she feels safe in. Everything is new to her which can put pressure on an animal that has nearly lived out 1/4 of her life somewhere already. Especially with how much chinchillas rely on constant behaviors and schedules.

Be patient with her and be understanding of how scared and unfamiliar she is to everything. I'd suggest never grabbing her from her cage. What people say about talking to her while sitting by the cage and relaxing your hand in the cage are great. Just don't try to snatch her or chase after her. Her cage should be her "safe spot" so she always has a place to go to feel secure and calm herself down.

Let her decide when she wants out and when you first let her out, don't chase after her. If she's skittish, she'll probably find some place in the room to hide and will hide frequently. Again, let her have a "safe spot" that you never grab her from (unless you absolutely need to). This way if she gets scared when out playing, she'll always have a spot to feel protected in.

Follow a lot of the standard bonding tips from the guide posted earlier. (I have been following this guide and my young guy is on his way to letting me pet him.) Just remember that it will probably take her longer than a young chinchilla to feel comfortable with you. Don't try to rush her and praise her for small victories. For example, you said she freaked out when you were changing her water bottle. Next time, if she remains calm, tell her how good she is.

As she warms up to you, you can start partaking in more bonding games. Personally, I took up reading to my chinchilla at night when it's time to go to bed. Sometimes if I'm reading something out loud to myself, he hops over and sits up to listen during playtime.

Back