How cold is too cold?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filia

I keep my chins in my bedroom, which stays moderately cold during fall and winter (around 50-60 during the day). At night, the temperature drops really low. I'm not too concerned about them getting frozen, but I'm curious to know....How cold is too cold? Is it even possible for a chinchilla to freeze?

Also, during the summer my room gets really hot and humid. Are there any tricks to keep them cool? I know there are those "Chin-chiller" plates,(and fans, of course) but I don't think that would be enough. I can (and probably will) move them to the basement where it stays cool, but I was just curious if there's any other ways. :) Thanks!

I do not know about how cold is too cold, only that the recommended range is 60-65 F.

For the heat though, Chinchillas need air conditioning in summer, unless you're in a very cool place. He should not be in a room over 75 F. Fans don't work to keep chinchillas cool because they don't actually cool the air temp at all. Humans enjoy fans because we can sweat, and when the sweat evaporates from air blowing around, it helps to cool our bodies. Chins cannot sweat and thus do not benefit from fans. This is my understanding, anyhow.
the chinchiller plates can be placed in the freezer to keep them extra cool in the summer. If you have multiple, it's great to switch them out every few hours or so.

I don't remember where I read it, but I thought I saw somewhere that 50 is the minimum temperature chins should be kept in. Like I said, I don't remember where I read it, so I might be remembering incorrectly.

Chin chillers only help in case of emergency or as treats. They will not work as a long term fix. A/c is a must in warm states.

I heard once that unless the water in the water bottle is freezing, the chins are fine. I don't think it's ever dipped below 60 in our house, and they've always been completely fine with that.

As for being hot and humid, the humidity you can take care of with a dehumidifier. We have it running 24/7 during the warmer months of the year, it does wonders. As for it being hot, chins can't sweat, so a fan won't do them any good. If it's too warm for them, then it would probably be a good idea to move them down to the basement. Our chins are in the basement, and in the summer, if we didn't run the AC, it could easily get over 70 down there. So basement + AC, or if you're leaving them in your room, AC on high to keep em cool.

If you move them to the basement for the summer I would recommend a dehumidifier. My basement is cool in the summer but super humid and my chins seemed less active when it got too damp down there. I got a combo thermometer and humidity meter to tell me when it got too bad. Hope this helps. Good luck with your babies!!

Back