How can you even tell?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightningturtle

Scooper of all the poops!
When most mammals get overweight, it's obvious. That said, when I tried to look up obesity in chinchillas I got nothing whatsoever. So is it possible to tell is a chin is fat by looking? Or do they look the same as a healthy one that's especially large?

Do comparative photos exist?

It is very very very rare for a chinchilla to be over weight. In 99% of the cases its due to an improper diet and or too many treats. Look up fatty liver disease, its closely related to improper diet and weight issues. If you are feeding a balanced pellet, good hay and limiting treats, odds are your chin is fine.

My vet told me one of mine was flirting with being fat, she said she could tell when she held him up, circled her fingers under his arm pits and let him hang, if there was fat hanging over her fingers he was fat, he had some.

It is very very very rare for a chinchilla to be over weight. In 99% of the cases its due to an improper diet and or too many treats. Look up fatty liver disease, its closely related to improper diet and weight issues. If you are feeding a balanced pellet, good hay and limiting treats, odds are your chin is fine.

I'm not worried about her being fat. She's active and doesn't eat too many treats. I just wondered about it.

Latest posts

Back