How can I...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugargliderlove

Hedge Addict
I just weighed Sprinkles she is 262.6 grams. when I weighed her on 6/1 she was 274.8 grams. How do I get her weight back up? She is 5 months old and her kibble mix is 35% protein and 14.5% fat. I give her 2 tbs of kibble each night and she maybe ate a 1/2 tbs last night. She runs in her wheel like crazy. I give her 10 small mealworms every other day since she is a runner.

Keep in mind that one giant pooping session can account for 12g's: http://hedgieflash.com/melanie.html
So a difference between the 1st and today might just reflect momentary eating, drinking, and poop weight.

If you've ruled out momentary fluctuations as a likely explanation, provided she's not showing any other signs of a potential illness and the difference has to do with her running, I'd look at increasing her calorie content. I'm assuming Sprinkles and Sonic are on the same mix, so (to keep things easy) I'd start with upping the amount of mealies for Sprinkles. Try some mealies every day instead of every other. And if that doesn't do it, go ahead and change the ratio of her kibbles to add in a bit more of the higher fat/calorie kibble.

You may need to pull the wheel after a few hours if you find that she'd neglecting eating in favor of running. Also do a quick check of her mouth/teeth to make sure that nothing's gone awry there -- ie, that would explain the random 1/2 tbs instead of 2 for last night.

I moved sonic into his old cage and gave sprinkles her 2 bin cage back. she was in the full cage last night and she ate all her food even the new kitten food i am adding to her mix

She likes to dive under the liner in the bin that has her wheel and toys in. I just have to put her back on top of the liner a few times and then she stops. she really likes to have the two bins compared to the one. I weighed her yesterday and she was 286.5 grams.

yea so i am. she is 5 months old. she runs like crazy. it is insane how much she runs. Melissa is that a good weight for her to be at for her age? i know it is hard to determine weight for a hedgie.

So hard to say since they can be such different "wheel bases." Take Bella, for instance: she's 380s as an adult. Marlee is five months old and weighed in at 535 a day ago... And she's still growing! Take a look at her sides when she's walking around... if they're sunken in at all, get her some higher calorie food. But if they're straight or rounded, she's probably fine.

when I look at her she looks like a Twinkies shape. Sprinkles is the same age as Marlee. Sprinkles has 2 kitten food in her mix now. so her mix is a 4 kibble mix. I just weighed her and she is at 280.0 grams.

Latest posts

Back