Horror stories

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like them for growing out chins and weaning. I split it in half and give about 3 same sex just weaned kits 1/2 the cage. I used to cover them in chicken wire but now just make sure the kits are over 250 grams first, or 300 if I want to be really safe or they are sneaky! I would not use them for breeding, but they work well for trios, weaning, etc. The bar spacing is 1" x 6" maybe and could be seen as dangerous, but I have not had any problems. Just weaned kits may escape though. I have bass pans so cleanup is pretty easy, although I will take pull out pans anyday!

Well that is cool. I always see people talking about them and they look cool but then I think the litter pans are small and the spacing doesn't look good and I always change my mind.
I have a couple huge super pet ones that i do that same thing in but for most of my chins they are in custom cages. I hate them tho!!! Big time. Super expensive and cheap pieces of crap.
Oh and yeah i agree with the pull out pans.

As for stupid people calling, i've had a few. One guy called and asked what they were and when I told him he was asking dumb questions like do they come in blue or green or red? Can you eat them? What's their purpose? I got mad and asked him what his prupose was and hung up. I cant stand stupid people.......:hair:

Help me please !!!!!!!!!

Okay so I bought a chin she seemed to be a bit miss treated or neglected or scared of everything. The owner had like 4 little loud kids and 4 tiny yippy dogs... I felt soooooo bad for the chin. So i bring my 1 year old female chin home, my boy friend and i call her kitty lol. Anyway she was a bit nice but never liked anyone. Now she is way worse I do everything good for her and she just pays me back with hate. What should I do!?

Okay so I bought a chin she seemed to be a bit miss treated or neglected or scared of everything. The owner had like 4 little loud kids and 4 tiny yippy dogs... I felt soooooo bad for the chin. So i bring my 1 year old female chin home, my boy friend and i call her kitty lol. Anyway she was a bit nice but never liked anyone. Now she is way worse I do everything good for her and she just pays me back with hate. What should I do!?

You just need to go really slow with her, if she was abused or neglected by humans she might be terrified of you. It can take months, but daily exposure to you helps. I also don't do play times with really wild/skitish chins until they settle down as the act of catching them only compounds the issue. Remember she doesn't hate you, she is just trained to be scared.

These stories are awful! To be honest, mine's started out a similar way. I went into a pet shop with my friend who was looking at the spiders and saw my little guy. He was the only one in the shop and I just felt sorry for him. The place wasn't great. His cage was alright, but the rabbits next door were terrible. There were three in a small container.
Anyway, I was debating getting him and my friend went up and asked about him. They let us handle him. He peed on me and I just couldn't walk away. I bought him and they did a deal with the cage, bowl, food, water bottle and sand. I got a card board box for a temporary nest box. I didn't really know anything about Chinchillas and knew I was being stupid, but I fell for him. I even forgot to ask his age!
For the first day he lived in the kitchen of my student house. We're all girls so we're not noisy. The next day he moved into my room and sadly I had to make loads of noise when I was putting in his nest box.
Now however, it's been ten days, and Eddie seems to have settled in a lot. He comes out to play every day for about an hour. He loves running around and wall hopping. I've read up loads on chinchillas and joined this site in case I need any advice. He loves coming out of his cage and tries to come out when I'm cleaning his bedding. He's selective about his hay because there's always lots left and I think he chooses his favourite bits. I've found he's a side sleeper which I think is adorable! I have to admit I'm very glad I bought him on a whim. It looks like he used to pull out his fur at some point and now he doesn't. He's a very confident little guy. Just yesterday he let a new person he hadn't seen before hold him, he climbed onto them himself, and he was sat on my friend's shoulder, yet another person he hasn't seen before, and was happy to have people stroke him (we had a bit of a busy house yesterday. My landlord came over and one of my housemates had a friend round, not to mention the cleaners were over). I've now found out he is four months old and I am really looking forward to spending the rest of his life with him :)

Latest posts

Back