Horribly Aggressive Chin Behavior, HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stitch

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are still fairly new chinchilla owners. We bought him from a friend of a friend about 6 months ago. The chinchilla's is a male, and is just over 4 1/2 years old. All was going well at first. We had no problems. He was fairly hesitant of us, which we expected. About 2 months ago though, all was fine. He was much more comfortable with my boyfriend (who he lives with), which I also expected. For the last month though, something has happened to my chin. He is no longer the chin we've had for the past few months. He is now extremely mean. There has been no change in his routine. He has a very large cage, playtime every day, with many toys and a wheel inside his cage. Anytime we open the doors to the cage, and even start to put our hand in it, he barks. Consistently, until we take our hand out. As of lately, my boyfriend cannot even look at him by the cage without him barking at him, and getting very angry. We used to be able to pet him inside the cage, without him running away. That is no longer the case. Last week, our chin actually bit him for the first time. We have had small nibbles, but never anything large. This time, it was a very firm bite, and then followed by more and more barking. We can no longer pet him, he backs up, barks and start to kind of lunge at us. The only time he is not mean and aggressive, is when he thinks he hears the treat bag opening. Then he can be the sweetest chin, fully accepting of being pet.
At this point, we are kind of at a loss of what to do. For the last month, it has been **** just trying to take care of our chin. I love him so dearly, but I don't understand what is going on. I don't want to have to get rid of him, but he is clearly so unhappy with us. I don't know what we are doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Backstory on our chin: His previous owner had him from birth. They said he was a nice chin, and never had any problems. He was with the previous owner for a few years, but was for the last few months before we took him, he was living in their basement. They did mention that dogs had been around him, and that it never seemed to bother him. I don't know if that could be playing into any of this. But now, our chin is in a large cage, not anywhere near any animals, in my boyfriends room. So, he receives daily attention.

Thank you!

Is he only aggressive when he is in the cage? Or is he also aggressive out of it? I know quite a bit more about hamsters than chinchillas and that sounds like classic cage aggression in hamsters to me but honestly I would have to do more research to know if that applies to chinchillas as well.

That said, a sudden change of behavior could indicate a health problem so if you have access to a good chinchilla vet you might want to consider taking him in for a wellness exam.

I guess I should also add that I am dealing with a somewhat less serious version of this issue. My foster chinchilla is behaving similarly. He will bite me and hump my arm when I put my hands in his cage but once he is out of his cage he is incredibly sweet. For now I am not pushing him to modify the behavior because I suspect that it is just all the recent changes he has had in his little life. Instead I just work within his comfort zone by giving him a huge tube to use to get in and out of his cage, or holding a carrying cage in front of his cage to get him out if necessary. With that said, I am honestly not sure if accommodating him is actually the right way to go for chinchillas (works wonders for hamsters though). Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

I'm hopeful that he will cut this out because I would really like the rescue to be able to put him up for adoption or move him to their educational program, but until we get past this he has a safe place to stay here.

Seconding the concern about a health issue and the question about in cage v out of cage behavior. How do you get him in/out if you can't safely touch him? Could he have been accidentally stepped on, smushed somewhere, or frightened by another person/pet?

As something to try that at least can't hurt anything, when he's awake, have a radio playing very quietly or a TV on within sight of the cage. They're very smart and seem to enjoy sounds/sights. One of mine would bark back at video games, etc., and two of the ones I have now stand up and listen when my Other Half plays guitar. Until you can sort out if there's a medical concern, it can't hurt to occupy his mind.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Can you look at his eyes and see if they look cloudy or strange? Early stages of blindness in a chin can cause these type of symptoms.

Ticklechin, that explains a lot. One of my girls acts a lot like this, and though she does not have strange-looking or cloudy eyes, I have long guessed that she has low vision. Interesting to know that her vision and behavior may be linked. Is there any way to try to rehabilitate the behavior of a low-vision and/or blind chin?

Latest posts

Back