Horrible sound....extremely worried..please help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluke

Buckie has been having dental issues For the past several months. We have gone about every month(sometimes more) to get his teeth filed. he has some root elongation in one area..i know its only a matter of time, but I've just tried to keep him comfortable and happy as long as possible. He has been on critical care for a while now and a little metacam daily. But today he started making these awful sounds. They're hard to describe even. But I have a video. It's super dark so you can hardly see him but you can hear him.

http://youtu.be/VLbaBSDAgbU

Sort of similar to http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46543

Any one have any ideas? Tomorrow is Sunday unfortunately so I don't know that anyone will be at his vet. Monday will probably be the earliest.

It sounds like a URI, which is common to happen to malo chinchillas. He needs a vet visit asap, but I don't want to give false hope, URIs in dental chins are almost always fatal, their immune systems are already knocked out from dealing with malo that even aggressive treatment they may not make it. I hate to say this, but I don't want to sugar coat it either, I have had this happen to me several times and I sincerely feel your pain.

About to leave for the vet. They have emergency hours today. He hasn't done it since early this morning. He doesn't seem to feel bad, and there's no discharge or anything. I'll update later after the vet visit. I'm not giving up hope.

Also I wanted to mention, he's made that shrieky sound before and winced because of tooth pain. his teeth get points on them and stick into his cheeks. so that wincing I've Seen but not repeatedly and with the other sound as well.

Just got home from the e-vet. Thankfully she had experience with exotics even though the facility didn't have equipment for them. She said lungs are clear and nothing weird on the mouth swab. I mean she said obviously something is wrong but she didn't think it was life threatening at the time. I still opted for a shot of baytril and I have an appointment with my normal vet in the morning. He's still acting mostly normal, though sleepy..but then he hasn't had his normal sleep time today. I'm still terrified..probably won't sleep much tonight

Oh she also considered allergies. He's not really had issues before but this area is actually one of the worst in the country regarding pollen and such. Has anyone ever had that experience? I don't have my windows open a lot but I do sometimes.

Latest posts

Back