Hornworms

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never tried hornworms on our hedgie, although I was so curious that I even tried to order a few last winter but the suppliers I contacted were all out of stock.

My understanding is that hornworms grow pretty big (3" to 4") very quickly (as fast as in 2 weeks). To keep them alive and healthy, you need to constantly provide them with fresh food. Unlike mealworms, you can't keep them in a fridge for very long. The main reason why some people prefer hornworms over other feeder insects is to "fill up" large insectivorous pets with a less number of bugs (e.g. one full grown hornworm is the equivalent of 36 crickets or 70 mealworms in weight :eek:).

Hornworms are low in fat and rich in calcium but contains no chitin which many insectivorous animals such as hedgehogs requires.

You could try feeding a few small hornworms to your hedgie, but I personally didn't see much advantage in feeding hornworms to hedgehogs based on what I learned.

I would think it would be a fun snack, but knowing mine, they wouldnt eat them anyways. The calcium would be nice additive for a beneficial treat verses something fatty. As said, if your hedgies eat the others(crix & mealies) hornworms arent needed. If they dont eat the others its unlikely they will eat a horn worm either.(or so i'd think)

My hedgies will rarely eat a mealies or crickets, such boring appetites.

I have hornworms for my bearded dragon, so if they grow too big for the hedgies it's not a problem. I just thought they might like a change of pace! Ronnie loves mealworms but can't eat them any more because of her gums. I thought a soft bodied worm might be easier for her. And Phoebe, well... Phoebe just likes to eat. :D

Back