Home made cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oct7thmrmyers

Do any one have a home made cage for the chinchillas im thinking of makeing them one seeing if any one got a idea lol

best website and my homemade cage:)

petchinchillas.info is the best website I have ever seen for cage advice, from building, plans, what materials to use, and everything else you'd need to know about cages. I used it to build my guys cage and then the add on. Just make sure to make the doors BIG or you will regret it. Before I added on, Sunny's cage was horrible to clean, getting back in the corner he peed in most:( The add-on has a huge door that makes it so easy. Also, wood on the bottom where they usually pee is horrible! There is a website, I think they say the name of it in the Ferret Nation Club thread in the housing section, where you can get custom made metal pans that'll fit the bottom of the cage. If you could make the cage so the pan slides out the bottom, that'd be great:) And of course make sure the shelves have sheilds so the poop doesn't fall to the outside of the cage-that's sooo annoying:( I wish I had planned Sunny's better, or followed one of Mistywaterwoman's plans on the website I gave you.

One more thing, don't go too small width and length wise. Thats the main reason I added onto to Sunny's. It seemed so cramped when he did his laps around the cage. It was 24"x24" around (36 high) and I wanted him to have more room, so the add-on is the new bottom and is about a foot wider and longer, lol. It's an 'interesting' looking cage, but he loves it. Here's a pic:) I tried to upload closeups of the top and bottom, but my computers being annoying and slow!

And don't think I regret building it. I just regret not planning better. Oh, and now the wiire on the very bottom of the cage is covered with fleece because I was afraid it'd start irratating his feet. I'm also ordering one of the metal pans I talked about (if I can find the URL I'll post it for you) for the old bottom of his old cage cause he loves peeing there!

Attachments

• 100_8515.jpg
    100_8515.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 108
WOW Dawn! See, that's where good planning gets you! Me, I rush into stuff and end up regretting some details later, lol!

I technically did not build my boys cage. My father is the big builder of the family. He loves it and is very good at it. The add-on (bottom) took him probably about 5 days. It would've probably only taken maybe 2 for him (he's built a LOT of stuff in his life) but he had jobs that week (carpet installer). The 1st part was technically a chamelion cage, so I can't say how long that took him-remodeling only took him a day, plus a couple days of my OCD scrubbing, lol. I spent less time cleaning the add-on. The chamelions were in the original maybe 7 years ago, but I was so paranoid that somehow something survived that could make Sunny sick, so my OCD took over!

I have cages that are homemade for my chins and my degus cage is in the making.
One cage was from the plans I got from a member on another forum. The other chin cage and the degus cage were made unplanned by my dad. He just started building and went from there, but keeping in mind the animal that was going in it. The degus cage isnt as big as the chinnies cage, but they are all super nice. I love them

I built a cage as well. I put windows in mine and I am very glad I did. It gives the boys a bit bigger view of their world. The do make use of them as you can see.

100_2803.jpg

100_2804.jpg

I built a cage as well. I put windows in mine and I am very glad I did. It gives the boys a bit bigger view of their world. The do make use of them as you can see.

Nice job! All these handmade cages make me want to break out the wood and get busy on one of my own. I'm also noticing a theme here. Nice big framed wire front on a wide but shallow box with shelves. Chins are easier to keep than birds!

Back