Holding kit for show

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbcstratton

For those of you that have been breeding longer, I would like some feedback on holding kits for show.

Do you find them harder to sell to pet owners if you hold them to show?

For those that breed, I wouldn't think it would matter to get an older chin that you could tell quality in and they would be closer to being able to put into breeding.

I just seem to find that if you tell someone the chin is 7-9 months, they are usually asking if you have anything younger.

Just wondered about your experiences and your input.

My experience has been that if someone has it stuck in their head they need a just weaned baby that they can "bond" with, nothing will change their mind.

However, other times I find people are just happy to get a young chinchilla (under a year) that is used to being handled and is really friendly. Usually once I put the chin in their hands, they sell themselves.

I've had a few females that I'm evaluating as breeding potential, some of them have had kits that don't look awesome right off the bat... selling those to pet homes is no problem, but as for hanging onto them... yeah people want younger.

I have a chin here who I hung onto to show, she finally got the size and all around 9-10 months, so I showed her in October... didn't do as well as I'd like so I have her up for sale.... well, to the "pet" people, she's definitely what they consider an adult. Heck, I had a white female, four months old, up for sale, her fur already was less than desirable, and I had people still saying they wanted younger.

I used to email people on my waiting list about chins that I had born a few weeks after they were being born... and depending on situations, sometimes I still do. But anymore, I hang onto what I have until I'm sure whether I want to keep it or not, and then sell. And by that time... most pet people find them to be "too old." Ah well. Eventually someone wants them.

I think you can get a way better price as babies in a lot of instances. If they are from great lines or do good at a show they still hold their own but if you hang onto one and it doesn't turn out great then I don't think you would be able to sell it for as much as you might have been able to if it was young. I guess that is the tradeoff in keeping it to see how it turns out....

Definitely harder to sell to pet owners, and I usually have to discount the price significantly. It's an unfortunate part of breeding and showing. I've got a couple that are over a year old just sitting there eating my food and not paying for their room and board! But I know that eventually they will find a home...hopefully!

I try to stress to buyers that chins live 10-15+ years. So a 1 year old is really quite young...not many people buy it!

I have no experience with breeding or selling chins, but as a recent purchaser of one, I thought you might feel better to know that I bought mine because the pet store had her for 9 months, and I felt bad for her. Granted, this was from a pet store that carries one chinchilla at a time, but I'm sure there are others out there willing to adopt older chins as well.

Yes, they are harder to sell. I discount the older ones that I kept and then decided they weren't breeding quality. I had one person who was happy at first at the discount price. She then wanted to know why the discount and I told her the truth. She then said she didn't want an 'inferior' chin. Basically she wanted 'show quality' at a discounted pet price. Some people you just can't satisfy

Everyone wants a kit. :facepalm: I adopt out kits if they don't seem to meet my showing standards in a couple months.

However my last adopter wanted a bit older animal that had already been loved on and knew what they were getting.
But I'm like Alicyn. I have a couple just sitting here eating for the last couple years. But they are fine. I would rather have them sit here and go to the "right" person or family. But that may not work for someone breeding in large numbers.

It really depends on your area, your prices and where you advertise. I can sell adults 100-150 each and no one complains cause the only pet store that carries them is 200+ and they are all adults. Even on craigslist they are more expensive than what I'm asking. There is always that group that insists on having a kit and no age short of weaned yest will work for them. I just don't deal with them. I won't sell a kit till it is 3 months unless I know its a color/sex I won't want to keep.

Latest posts

Back