holding him

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chexy114

I know chinchillas don't really enjoy being held, and I just want to state that cuddling is not my expectation. But sometimes you need to pick them up to take them to their play area or to move them to clean the cage etc.

My idea is that every time I pick him up or hold him, I give him a treat once he stops struggling so much. I haven't tried this yet because I wanted opinions on this. I'm hoping it will make him associate being held with treats, but do you think it would just scare the wits out of him and make him more timid toward me and afraid of being touched? (actually he's very friendly so far and I've only had him two weeks)

I didn't want to try it until I got some opinions, since I'm so new to having a chin.

:) thanks for any input you may have!

If you really persist in this, it will pay off. You have to be very consistent though. Chins are smart, and positive reinforcement definitely works with them. Try luring your chin onto your palm/arm, while holding a treat in your other hand. Only give the treat when all four paws are on your palm/arm.

IMO, I wouldn't always wait for them to "stop struggling" before you reward with a treat- you want it to be very clear that 'picking up'= 'delicious morsel'. Oftentimes, offering a healthy treat will stop struggling in its tracks, resulting in an immediate positive experience for the chinchilla.

I really recommend old-fashioned oats for 'training' treats. The recommended treat amount for oats is a small bunch, but you can stretch this out, one by one, when you 'train.' They are great, healthy treats- just don't go overboard.

At first, I used the dust house to transport them to their play area, I'd just cover the opening with my hand. After that, when I became more comfortable, I used the base of the tail method.

Personally, I'd wait until after you put the chin down to offer a treat. Then both your hands are free while you're holding him. Mine tend to like to take treats once down rather than in my arms, but it's whatever works best for you.

Back