Holding a baby chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat_n_Tofu

Chin Slave
Tofu is 9 weeks old, I've had him for a few days and oddly he already wants to climb on me once I open the door. He jumps on me for a min then runs back in his cage and hides then comes back again or sometimes he stays on me but is climbing all over shoulders, not staying on my arms. I know that's probably normal for a baby hyperactive chin but I'm afraid he won't know where my body ends and will end up hitting the ground!!

I know he isn't supposed to have plan time does climbing on me count?? Also is it true that if you let a chin climb you without letting it on the ground (first) it will better bond with you when you eventually do let it run in their chin room, I read that somewhere on google but am not sure if that's true.

For now I think Tofu and I are starting a good bond. I have school and work til about 4 then once I'm home I try and dedicate my former Netflix time to him =) so a few hours plus I constantly just pass his cage a say hi.

Also please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong with handling him. P.s. If I need to he doesn't struggle if I need to pick him up say in an emergency =)

Pic is of him sitting on my boyfriend's arms.

Attachments

• 20130109_232940-1.jpg
    20130109_232940-1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 122
Handling them when they are young can be a good thing. Gets them used to being handled and used to you at a young age. I wouldn't worry about that counting as a play time. I would worry about the chin maybe hopping off you and running away tho. They can move very quickly, so you'll want to be carefull.

well much like us, a fall from any height can hurt us if we land wrong. And younger chins are a bit more clumsy. The (maybe) greater risk their is if he jumps out of or off of you, is the panic to catch him in time. Trying to grab him to hard or the risk of stepping on him comes into play. (Not to overly scare you, but things to take into consideration.)

At least with my chins, you kinda learn their habits and what their thinking. And you learn how to move with them in order to (try) and prevent them from jumping off.

You could try setting up some sort of barrier around the cage when you're interacting with him. I know they sell some play pens that are ~3 ft tall (I don't know what brand makes them). So you're kind of making a cage within a cage. That way in case he does jump, he can't dash off. Playpens can be pricey if I remember correctly. You could try this with cardboard as well.

My two female chins love to climb all over me whenever I open the cage door. I've never had them jump off me. I usually just sit by the door and let them climb on me. If anything startles them, they usually run back to there cage. (I sit on the floor in front of it, my shoulder comes up to their first ledge so its easy access in and out). In my experience if they start to want to explore a bit more they usually start leaning down me, and start to slide, they've never just jumped. When they start to slide (usually down my back), I just turn so that they slide right back into their cage. Of course its different with every chinchilla and mine are well used to me, and their surroundings. Personally I enjoy it when I go to feed them and they climb all over me. My older one even likes to play with my hair (she runs it through her paws its cute), but if you feel like it might be too risky for your guy, maybe stop at least until he's a bit older, and used to his surroundings.

He is a cutie and it sounds like you are off to a great start! I agree that holding and loving on him is great for bonding!

chinchilla can jump as tall as 5 feet. what works for you may not work for other chinchilla owners. do what you think its best for tofu and you :)

Thank you all for your input, I haven't been able to log on for awhile because of a family member passing away. Unfortunately for the same reason I had a lot less chin bonding time. I think Tofu and I have back tracked! I've been trying to bond with him and he still jumps on my hands and explore my arms, hair and shoulders, but it's either that he's still too young and hyper or scared of me, but when I put my hands in the cage he bounces all over the place and sometimes hides for a bit before coming out. It's contradicting though, because he sits on my hands?? He has made a lil grunting sound once in a while. I have two theories one is because the past month I hardly had time to take him out and hold him...maybe he isn't trusting me as much? Two... my cat scared him once when she sniff his cage, I knew he was scared because he hid and started "crying"... maybe that made him less confident?? No idea, but I know it takes work so I'm spending more time with him.

P.s. I did take everyones advice =) I got a pen yay! And am being super careful so he doesn't fall (put pillows on the floor).

Thanks again everyone! Here's a new picture!

Attachments

• 20130121_175453.jpg
    20130121_175453.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20130121_175143.jpg
    20130121_175143.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 37
It's contradicting though, because he sits on my hands??

Every chin has different habits and likes/dislikes. My one male HATES being picked up. But when i have him out, he always runs over to my hand and perches on it. Like my hands a throne or something lol. And he will just sit there.

I wouldn't suggest letting your cat anywhere near your chin. It only takes one swipe of a paw, or one accident for something bad to happen.

An interesting thing you might want to note tho over time with that play pen; Watch how your chin reacts when you set it up. They can get used to the sight/sound of it being set up and they will no what is coming next. And can get very excited :D

Thanks for the reply!

I will definitely make sure my cat cannot access the cage at all. I think I'll put it in a separate room and make sure to keep it shut when I'm not around.

I completely get what you mean about sound...Tofu learned the sound of the little container I store the oats in. When he hears it he runs to the cage door and stands there staring!! Sometimes I have to go into the other room to open it so he doesn't hear it so I can try and surprise him. I read somewhere that it's not until they get older that they sit still (depending on the chin), and that young ones are just too full of energy. A friend of mine has a hetero beige chin maybe 3-4 years old that she literally could put up like a doll. I was shocked... it made me feel like I'm doing something wrong with my bonding time, of course she has had him longer and all chins are different... I definitely know they aren't cuddly =) and I'm happy with where Tofu and I are at the moment.

Thanks for the reply!

I will definitely make sure my cat cannot access the cage at all. I think I'll put it in a separate room and make sure to keep it shut when I'm not around.

I completely get what you mean about sound...Tofu learned the sound of the little container I store the oats in. When he hears it he runs to the cage door and stands there staring!! Sometimes I have to go into the other room to open it so he doesn't hear it so I can try and surprise him. I read somewhere that it's not until they get older that they sit still (depending on the chin), and that young ones are just too full of energy. A friend of mine has a hetero beige chin maybe 3-4 years old that she literally could put up like a doll. I was shocked... it made me feel like I'm doing something wrong with my bonding time, of course she has had him longer and all chins are different... I definitely know they aren't cuddly =) and I'm happy with where Tofu and I are at the moment.

Wow tofu is a very good looking chin and is lucky to have a owner like you willing to have bonding time instead of netflix haha (i do love me some netflix). i did not have the privalage to raise chins from a babies stage i got myn at 2-3 years old as rescues. I did spend a lot of extra time with them and for the first week i only held my hand in the cage and sometimes they jumped in my hands but they were pretty un sure of me. and a side note my chins also respond to the sound of the containter i hold their treats in and the hay bag haha.... I would say you're doing great with tofu. :thumbsup:

Thank you 2chins1planet and Newt!!! If Tofu knew he were getting all these compliments his ego would get even bigger. The lil guy knows his cuteness can get him whatever he wants... I need to learn to resist! Sometimes I'm running late in the early morning and as I'm about to get to the door he runs to the cage door and grabs the bars and stares at you... I'm pretty sure he's trying to say "Hey you! Bring me a treat" lol of course I get hypnotized and have to give him a lil oat. If he decides to do it when I'm not leaving the house I'll take a pic!!

@ 2chins1planet, I give you props and more for rescuing those two chins! Anyone could take in a baby chin, you're a true chin lover!
@ Newt, your chin is adorable too, I couldn't enlarge your pic...is he/she a homo or heterobeige??? Beige is my favorite chin color =) My friends chin is beige and Iooks like just like yours! I might be wrong on the color, you need more pics of your lil fuzzy!

That is one cute chin and cute name! Enjoy your playtime with him. If he is jumping on you, maybe you can sit low or lie on the ground, so if he does slip off and hit the ground, there is less distance. What a cutie, I love that name too, 'Tofu' lol. More pix if possible! :)

Thanks Nat! I honestly dont know if Rosey is homo or hetero beige... unfortunately chin breeding is not very good here in NZ, so it's rare when an owner knows for sure. Sadly, I'd say up to 95% of "chin breeders" in NZ are of the "back yard breeder" variety.
I got Rosey from a pet store nearly 9 years ago (gosh time flies!). I'd say she's most likely a hetero beige.
Here's a couple more pics....

Attachments

• 000_0316.jpg
    000_0316.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 000_0306.jpg
    000_0306.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back