Hmm.. What else should I add?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

I am working on updating the cages :) Me and my dad are making wooden toys for the chins. Here are their cages there is Mo's and Misty & Cookie's cages. What should I add?
025.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

They each have 4 ledges in their cages and havehaybags that you may not be able to see.

About to order two fleece tubes :) think maybe next weekend ill make some hanging toys :) Any more ideas maybe something ot of wood?

Thanks! And saly no. We bought a lot of it we just made the shelves but we are trying to think of something else to make with the leftover wood we have about 5.5' left

You're doing a great job making their cage fun. I want you to be aware of the multi-colored house from petsmart/petco. It's made from plywood and not safe for chins even though it's marketed for them. :( Plywood is made up of thin sheets of wood that are glued together with a toxic glue. It's really awful how they market it with "safe" nontoxic food colors, and it would be a great house if your chins don't chew wood EVER :rolleyes:.

http://www.waremfginc.com/sa-detaildisplay.aspx?itemno=00834

I would suggest you take it out asap as they've already begun chewing it.

A tube! I don't think there is such a thing as a chinchilla who doesn't love their tube.

my Rhino could care less if he has a tube in his cage, he almost never goes in it unless he's hiding from me when i want to give him scritches and he is being an anti-social bugger, lol!

You're doing a great job making their cage fun. I want you to be aware of the multi-colored house from petsmart/petco. It's made from plywood and not safe for chins even though it's marketed for them. :( Plywood is made up of thin sheets of wood that are glued together with a toxic glue. It's really awful how they market it with "safe" nontoxic food colors, and it would be a great house if your chins don't chew wood EVER :rolleyes:.

http://www.waremfginc.com/sa-detaildisplay.aspx?itemno=00834

I would suggest you take it out asap as they've already begun chewing it.

I took it out and added a different wooden toy that they have there! Thanks for the information! I would've never known! :)

I have a question: I noticed someone on here has a beatuful cage and they put logs in it and it looks great! I as reading on it and they say that you only need to clean it really good and then let it dry for a couple months. is this true? You don't need to bake it?

She mentioned she has haybags inside the cage. I'm assuming they are the fleece hay bags that some members here make or she may have made them herself.

Yes I use haybags for my hay :) Someone on this forum made them for me :) I don't think you can see them in the picture bcause misty and cookies is to the left of their wheel by the wood hut and mo's is all the way to the left:)

Here's a more recent update of their cages :) I am still going to add a few more hanging toys but then I feel it's finally done! :)
Mo's:
Random038.jpg

Random039.jpg

Misty and Cookie's:
Random040.jpg

Random041.jpg

And a close up of the shelf bed:
Random042.jpg

Me and my friend spent all day making the chins their bridges and beds :) Didn't realize it's such a lengthy process!

i would revamp the bridge to have three wires running through it, or tighten it up so that the slats stay lined up. i possibly could see a chin toe getting pinched with the slats askew like that.

do they ever try to jump on top of the wheel? if so, maybe a short shelf up there to keep them from falling?

They usually don't jump directly on the wheel. The usually go on the shelf and jump on the wheel and slide over to the shelf on the ither side of the wheel. But I will have to make one! And also I will try to tighten the bridge the problem is that the holes are 100% even because I am not the best a wood working since I am only a teenager. But ill tighten it :)

Back