Hire Me!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

I know I just posted a unrelated thread, but I figured as I've been on the job search for a few months and I've been asking everyone what they think is the best protocol, I'd ask you fine folks.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion. I've been applying to mostly lab animal technician jobs. I am not a certified lab animal tech or vet tech. Even though I have a BS in animal science, I would have to have an AS in veterinary technology to test for the vet tech certification and for the lab animal tech certification I need paid work experience with animals in a lab, to which I only have unpaid work experience. You can test for the lab animal tech certification with no education and only work experience, but you cannot test for it with only education and no work experience!! I almost feel like my degree is a waste because it isn't specific enough even though I worked so hard and had difficulty in the beginning of it. I'm contemplating getting a job I am over qualified for and hate while trying to get a masters in the meantime, just so I can be more marketable.

And then there's all the nuances of resume writing etc. Resume or CV (if I can even make one)? Order of categories? How that one time I stuck my arm up a cow's butt or went through rectal electroejactulation of some goats in class translates into a marketable skill for an entry level job? Nice paper or regular? Nice envelopes or regular? Heels or flats to an interview? How do you make contacts and what if you can't?

I almost want to post my resume and cover on here to see if anyone has any thoughts. Though I don't know who would want to spend their free time going over a stranger's resume...hehe.

For anyone who has a job in science or anywhere, really, how did you get your job or what things did you do that you feel really helped? Thank you everyone!!

I'm not in the science field, BUT I can definitely help to provide some direction with the resume and the interview. My dad was a recruiter in the chemical engineering industry for 25 years and operated the business out of our house when I was growing up. My brother is an IT recruiter, so apprarently it's in our blood, as I design resumes for fun in my free time. Weird, I know.

That being said...

1. I'd go with resume, not CV, but only because you're entry level. Once you have experience under your belt, you can move on to CV. CV vs. Resume Here.

2. Always use nice paper and envelopes. If you want to stand out in a pile, off-white or ivory work best. I use 60# ivory stock, but you could go with 80#.

3. Use Arial or any sans-serif font in the body of the text. I read a study 2 years ago that showed that people are more likely to read Arial when they're in a hurry than Times New Roman. I tested that theory in web and print and it's proven to be true in both places.

4. Categories - Objective, Summary of Qualifications, Education, Employment Experience, Interests (if you have room), References. Since you're entry level, you'll want to keep the resume to 1 page, no more... adjust the margins if necessary.

5. Use bullet points rather than paragraphs!!! I can't emphasize this enough! If you're going for corporate rather than small business, chances are that someone in HR with no knowledge of what the position actually requires is going to have to pass your resume through. They don't read paragraphs. they skim bullet points looking for keywords that match the job description.

6. Be sure to tailor your cover letter to the position that you're applying for.

7. Body language is everything at the interview. Maintain eye contact at all times and project confidence. Never fidget.

8. Contacts come with time, but there are things you can do to get yourself out there. The best way is to attend continuing education conferences or networking events specifically for people in your industry. Maybe someone else can help to point you in a more specific direction for that.

9. Chances are the interviewer isn't going to be able to see your shoes for very long, but I'd go with heels.

10. Be willing to accept less than what you think you deserve. I job hopped every year for 10 years until I found what I was looking for. If you view each opportunity as a resume builder (a.k.a. learning experience), it helps tremendously.

If you have any other questions or need another pair of eyes, I'd be happy to take a look and consult with the committee of recruiters that I've amassed over the years. Just send me a pm.

Good luck out there! :))

Thank you so much for all your information!!! That was an awesome response! I tried to remember what you wrote when I went over the final look through. I did forget to change the font, though.

I just sent out around 15 or more resumes to vet offices that aren't openly hiring. I figure if I slowly drown the world in my resume, someone will have to think of me!

I'll send you a pm of what I sent out. Thank you!

Last edited:
I have no idea how to attach something to a pm...not sure it's possible but I saved a pdf copy with my address and phone blacked out and the address of the recipient also, so I'll just attach it here. Still has my last name on it, but I figure facebook does too, so...

Attachments

• Vet-cover+resume online.pdf
    136.6 KB · Views: 107
There's lots more to tackle in that area than just vet offices. Private labs, colleges with animal sciences, farms, etc. My friend did hers in a necropsy lab.. gross but it paid well. Whatever works!

Hi Caiti
I am a teacher and I work in a local college. I conduct seminars and workshops in communications and one part of the seminar is to help my students write resumes and cover letters....If you want to pm me I can help you out with a few personal suggestions.

Corinne

Last edited:
Woot! Got my first positive response from one of the vet hospitals I sent my resume out to. The woman who responded wrote the paper and the "care and attention you spent on the formatting really stood out". I think my resume could still use some work but I'm glad it seems on the right track! Fancy paper DOES get noticed!!

Now I'm super nervous since I want to review the technical/clinical skills I put on my resume as I am now terrified of forgetting them in the moment!

This is only a phone interview and it being the first one, I have a slim chance of it turning into a job, but it's a start! And if nothing else, it'll be practice for phone interviews--just hopefully it won't turn into a disastrous example of how not to do one...

Check out Jan Melnik's site - www.janmelnik.com/strategies.html

I listened to her on the radio one time about how to conduct yourself in a job interview. She gave some awesome advice that I would never have thought about. You might want to check out as much of her site as possible. I think somewhere on there she said she would make a resume aimed at whatever job you wanted for a price. Although paying $$ for a resume may seem silly, but if I had it to do over again I would certainly consider it.

She also has a blog listed on that site as well.

Good luck on getting a job!

Ronda

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who has a job in science or anywhere, really, how did you get your job or what things did you do that you feel really helped? Thank you everyone!!

Never got a job in the science field, but personal websites are a great way of showcasing everything you have to offer. You can add it to your resume under your email. While it may contain a lot of the same info as your resume, it shows them that you are technologically savvy.

I've created two sites with weebly, and I love it. There's a free option, or buying your domain is only $35/year. Super cheap compared to most hosts. My classychillas site is through weebly, and my new personal site is a work in progress, but you're welcome to take a look at it:

www.brittanydelsignore.weebly.com

My old website was made with a different program, you can see the difference in professional appearance: www.brittanydelsignore.com

For anyone who has a job in science or anywhere, really, how did you get your job or what things did you do that you feel really helped?
Talk with people and network. 80% of the jobs I've had have come from striking up conversations with complete strangers. Be cheery, upbeat and offer to help people - and be genuinely interested. Make that "Connection".

Picked up five jobs in college this way, food processing, pharmacy and eventually computer support (my field). It is easier to get a job if you already have one and there is no shame in working the food or assistance industry until you find another. You can always leave those out once you get experience elsewhere. :))

NEtworking is def important. Helped me alot outta college. It doesnt hurt to contact your career center down by UMASS to see if there are any network events or alumni events. I still go to mine to see any new stuff along the way! Im also in contact with a few professors from school that give me idea on events and introduce me to people within our same field! you can do it! takes time but keep at it!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone! I have been looking through the links and I appreciate them (Brittany--your resume is...intimidating--in a good way!!). Shortly after I posted about the email I got a call from another place I sent my resume out to and set up an interview there. Problem is I was so excited and nervous I completely forgot the woman's name. Now I'll have to tactfully not bring that to attention until she reintroduces herself, gah!

I'm hoping already having interviews set up means that more calls will come since these people who have contacted me have had my resume tops 3 days (I just sent them out 4 mailing days ago).

Azn--I went to career services at UMass and also Framingham State where I took some classes but could never make it to a career/job fair--always had classes. I joined the alumni association at UMass recently online so I'm hoping I can find some helpful things on that. I think it would help if I kept in contact with some of my professors and shot them an email or rang them up, thanks for the idea. I have one as a reference, but I could contact more.

I am a alat and I did not find a job in that field that paid well enough. I'm also a lvt, and I work at a vet office honestly I get paid more in that setting. Try Banfield if they are in your area. They are always hiring and they will take in to consideration your bs in the amount they pay you.

I am a alat and I did not find a job in that field that paid well enough. I'm also a lvt, and I work at a vet office honestly I get paid more in that setting. Try Banfield if they are in your area. They are always hiring and they will take in to consideration your bs in the amount they pay you.

That's interesting. I kind of assumed a lab tech might get paid more than a vet tech, but I guess it depends on the amount of money the lab gets from grants and what not. Maybe private pharmaceutical companies would pay more than places like schools. Good info to know for future reference, though!

Actually, one of the people who contacted me was from Banfield and I have the interview next week.

Spoof--my mom keeps telling me if I need to there's no shame in bagging groceries for a while. I know what you mean--you gotta start somewhere to work your way up. I've gotten a bit better socially since I was a teenager, I just gotta work on that extra hard now to make connections!

Just keep in mind that if you do get a job at a vet office that one year of work only equals one month towards your alat certification. If you are wanting to go the lab tech route. I was offered a job at a biosafety level 3 facility and I make $3 more an hour where I work than I was offered. I don't have to worry about the facility being locked down either.

Back