hide my Baytril

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhufflepuff

super-duper hedgiepig
Am looking for a good wet cat food (or other easily available substance) into which I can hide Tex's Baytril.

He has the sniffles and is prescribed Baytril. He had his first dose last night - it went well... he happily licked it up... until a few minutes later when he vomited it back up. Turns out he now has quite the aversion to Baytril ala the Garcia effect. My little boy, who'd happily eat anything out of an oral syringe is now refusing his meds with more vigor than his big sister (an avowed squirmer who will strong-arm the oral syringe away when squirming is not enough).

This morning, we made sure he ate, then it took Hedgiedaddy and me to hold down all 340g of sheer muscle and squirminess to get his meds to him. We'll have to have a talk tonight about what this is all about. He has that "you've betrayed me!" look about him.

In the meanwhile... any recommendations for a strongly flavored wet cat food?

Do you have any Hills a/d? Sometimes you can mix it with that and syringe it. Otherwise try Innova or Wellness. Both of these will syringe feed as well . Although you have to watch the innova, innova does have a few chunks of carrot in it that will plug a syringe.

You may even try mixing it with a little Boost. I've had good luck with the strawberry flavor covering up the meds so that they lap it up.

Otherwise, try to scruff him or burrito him. If he is squirmy and isn't curling up, the burrito method may be the easiest way to hold him.

I've always used Hills A/D with any and all meds. Some of them are horrid tasting and they will vomit it back up.

Just called to see if I can get my hands on some Hills A/D...

I just feel badly for my little guy. His nose is sooo runny :(

Poor Tex. Hopefully once you start to get the meds in him regularly it will start to clear up.

Your vet shouldn't have any issues with giving you the Hills. Ask for a couple of cans, they last for a long time and it is a great item to have on hand should you ever need it. I keep one in my hedgehog first aid kit.

I haven't tried that one. Nancy have you any experience with it?

You can also call around. I've gone to other vet's that were closer to home to pick up a can of Hills. They will likely ask that your vet's office call and verify that its ok to give to you (aka call in a prescrip).

I've never tried the RC Recovery but have used the kibble that dissolves stones and crystals. The two that were on it loved it. I can't see the RC version would be too much different than A/D.

I've had good luck mixing Baytril with apple juice. The vet gave me a handy tip, but it takes a little bit of practice. Suck up some juice first, then the dose of medicine and then about more apple juice. Basically, the hedgehog will get a taste of the juice, then the medicine will follow and then he'll have a 'chaser'. It seemed to work well for some of my hogs.

Other times, I'd mix the medicine in Custard baby food. Definitely not the healthiest option, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I had one hog that would not take Baytril... but as soon as it was mixed in a tiny portion of sweet and yummy custard, he could not get enough.

And then you have the hogs that physically can't stomach Baytril... Kismet can't, and she has to be prescribed alternative medications.

The only way I could get Tuna to take his meds was mixed in Strawberry Quick, the strawberry syrup stuff you make strawberry milk with. I had been told it wasn't a good idea to give red stuff because if they puke you could mistake it for blood. But desperate times call for desperate measures and he liked his baytril mixed with the syrup.

Good news: I had a rather messy Tex last night - a combo of Recovery and meds... much like how Courtney described the apple juice idea. I believe most of it went in, though there was definitely some messiness under his chin and on me. Also, rather happily, he did not throw it up.
Hedgiedaddy and I did a little hedgie wrangling this morning and got his meds in too. I'll see if he managed to keep them with him after I get home this evening (ie, hoping for no vomit spots in his hedgiebag).

We're running around 50% with getting the meds to stay in. We've added the pet version of PeptoBismol to the mix.

Little guy looks like a disaster these days... little poopy feet (as I'm not giving him the full foot bath so he doesn't catch a chill); brown wet food crumbles & white Pepto streaks on his face, chin, and belly. And his little runny nose... cute pink and grey runny nose :(

Provided his morning meds stay in, I think we've found a solution that works for his belly.

I'm glad it seems to be staying in his tummy at least part of the time. I have used recovery and A/D and find them both acceptable.

So far, so good on meds staying in with the new plan. Now it's just a matter of getting them in. Little boy is like the Borg... not so much with the assimilation... he adapts very quickly to fend off the threat (his meds).

Back