Hi! I have some problems with my chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovelessMoon

Hi! I have some problems with my chinchilla. i bought her from a petshop. I know that before they go to the petshop they stay at a big storehouse with alot's of pets as i know. I bought my chinchilla this last christmas and the guy from the petshop said that she should be around 8 months old but what worries me is that this guys that sell on the petshops don't know almost nothing about animals. They talk about what they see or what they read in the internet but most of them dosen't even give the trouble to reasearch.
This is my second chinchilla but i have done some errors when i bought this one.
When i first bought my first chinchilla, i was afraid of him and he was afraid of me so i handled it with care and i didn't rush to take him out of the cage... instead i let him there for some days and tried to talk to him alot and stuff like that and then i freed him in the bathroom because there were no wires there and i seemed to create a bond with him... unfourtnly he died when i changed home... but after some time i bought this one... The thing is... i forgot that i should be more carefull with the bonding... i freed her in the first day, and i was not as carefull as i was on my first chinchilla.
The thing his i have her for 5 months now and when i free her she comes to me, when i start to sing she stops and looks at me she tries to get to my shoulder and stuff like that but she only let me touch her when i grab her and put her on my hands but when she is at her cage she tries to bit me whenever i touch her... sometimes she even does a sound, i think she is complaining, she does a sound similiar to the one that cat does when they ar scared or they are fighthing with another cat. She eats from my hand when she is in the cage but as soon as i free her she dosen't care about me anymore and i think it's something normal, even if i try to feed her when she is outside she dosen't eat.
My other chinchilla was a Male and much more "kind" and calm than this one is.
I have tried to read lot's of sites and seen videos and stuff but no one seems to really awnser my question. I want to form bonds with her. I try so spend lot's of time with my chinchilla, whenever i can of course but what i have done till now didn't work... is it from all chinchillas or is just mine?
She allways tries to bite me but i am allways so afraid so... i never let he do it... i am a bit afraid of starting to bleed...
Plus if you guys can tell me how to create bonds with her or at least how should i act with her it would be a great help!

You need to be patient and consistent. Most chinchillas don't like being picked up, but are fine once you get them.

Start over with the bonding process. Let her be in her cage and just sit next to it and talk to her. Take things slowly.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but when she it trying to "bite" you she may just be trying to groom you. All 4 of my chinnies will nibble on my fingers, knuckles, fingernails, ext. It DOES NOT hurt... i kind of tickles. It is their way of grooming/ bonding to you. Just set your hand in her cage, of put your fingers through the bars and let her sniff and examine your hand of fingers.

maybe you could offer her a treat before or after you pet her? Then she will associate getting petted with getting a "reward"

From what your saying, it sounds like a normal chinny!

Don't beat yourself up about the mistakes, trust me, everyone makes them.

My chin bonded with me a lot more when I started letting out of her cage, that way she could come to me whenever she wanted. I spend lots of time with her everyday, while she's outside and inside the cage. Even though it took a few weeks for her to start trusting me, months later she started to trust me even more.

Even though she trusts me, she hates it when I touch her back. She doesn't mind me touching any where else. She hates it when I pick her up, so I don't unless i have too.

Maybe you could start the bonding process over, by sitting in front of her cage for days/weeks and talking to her. When I first got my chin, she loved hearing me talk and looked forward to it each day. Then I started petting her, I took things a little farther each day until she was ready to be let out for play time.

Again, don't beat yourself up about it! He'll bond to you in a speical way, you can't rush it!

Yeah i guess you guys are right it's just that my first chin whenever i petted him he would lift his leg so that i could scratch his tumb and he would close his eyes when i would pat his ears but i think this one dosen't like that much, at least now.
Is there any difference between a female chin or a male chin? Example: Males are more calm then females or famles more calm than males, stuff like that

All males aren't more calm than females, or vice versa. It depends on the chin, they all have their own personalities. It sounds like your female may just take more time to bond than your male. Continue working with her, and hopefully she comes around!

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Yeah i guess, i am going to continue to try to bound with her of course, i really like her very much she is sooooooooo cute *_* And thank you guys if i have more questions i will post here ^^

Back