Hi from Kent UK

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy~Caitlyn

Hi, Just found this site :~)
I live in Rainham, Kent and share my home with my DID/MPD community,
3 aged 3 Ragdoll/Siamese X siblings, 1 aged 2 Red
Tabby, 1x 10 week old hamster.
I have been researching for a couple of months to decide whether or not I was the right person for two Chinchillas.
Over the years I've hand reared (sometimes from birth/hatching) Dogs, Cats, Rats, Rabbits (wild and tame), Sparrow, Jay, Magpie, Barn owls, Harris Hawk, European Eagle Owl, Hedgehog, Mice, Shrews, Voles also sharing my home with Hamsters, Goats, Chickens, Ducks.
I've sadly had the odd loss but most times we came through the battle of life together.
I've also raised 9 children though sadly never carried my own past 6 months.
I was widowed 8 years ago in April, and moved 3 years ago from my fantastic (but impractical for my health) 3 bed home with enormous garden to my current 1 bed flat with pocket handkerchief garden.
Now I'm increasingly housebound due to severe disability I pondered as to whether I could be a suitable candidate for these gorgeous fluff balls.
Having read as much as possible and trying to weed out out conflicting comments :banghead:
I'm delighted to report that I think I'm ok for this new undertaking so my cage is built (the largest I can fit in), a room is proofed until I discover what I missed :~)
Preparations have been made with the people who will take on my cats in the event of serious illness or worse and yes, they know about Chinchilla, one lady has 8.
So now I await a litter to be born :~) and I'm hoping to get :thumbsup: or down :cry3: on what I have planned so that my kits get off to a fantastic start.
Looking forward to making new friends who care about furries and getting help for my journey into Chinchilla single parenting :hmm:

Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

You have been so wonderful with all your animals, they are so lucky to have you. I hope to become a wildlife rehabber also and be able to work with animals that need a head-start in life.
I'm sorry about all the things you've had to go through in your life, but it is so wonderful that you have helped so many people and animals alike. You sound like a wonderful person to own a chinchilla. My only worry would be the cats may not get along with them.

Best of luck finding the kits of your dream! : )

Hello and welcome! Reading through your list of animals you've helped over the years made me think how amazing that must be. And even with the loss in your life you seemed to sparkle with vitality in your post.

Looking forward to reading more once you get your chins!

GitaBooks, Hi and thank you for your welcome and your lovely comments.
I feel pretty honoured to have been able to help the creatures of every kind
that have been a part of my life.
Letting wild ones go free is heart wrenching and also incredibly rewarding. The Barn Owl population in Cornwall was dangerously low in the late 90's it's now very healthy and I can take great pride in knowing that in part that's due to 4 pairs of unrelated BO's I reared and released (with all proper documentation). I of those owls was my little boy
who I made waistcoats for until he grew chest feathers at 2 years :~)
The vet didn't think he'd live at all! He died aged 8 a great, great grandfather!
As for my cats we have a policy in this household of "Never eating friends or family." So far it's worked though I have had to rescue one cat from my Chameleon who was riding around clinging to her tale. Another was terrorised by a toad this winter that kept getting into the "kitten room", it would sit in front of one of the litter trays and scream if she tried to use it.
I trust my cats and dog but I wouldn't leave them with a child unsupervised for the safety of all concerned, I'll treat the Chinchilla the same way and never leave cats or dog unsupervised.
I know in the States you have different wild animals, but if you ever want advice please message me. I have a friend on Long Island who does "critter" rescue too and we talk daily so either of us would be happy to help :~)
Good luck, and I'd love to hear how you get on.

Hi LGarl,
Thank you for your welcome and your lovely comments :~)
I've always loved caring for creatures and despite the odd
heart break I can honestly say it's been incredibly rewarding.
I'm really looking forward to getting my little one, but I'm
holding off until I'm sure I've covered as much potential trouble
as I possibly can.
With a new life totally dependant on me for it's every need I must
iron out problems first. I know I won't get everything right but I'll
make sure I try too :~)
Just finished my Chinchilla first aid kit :~) My bathroom looks so
funny with 5 little white plastic clip boxes with different coloured
handles and clips all lined up. 4 have green crosses on them and
and one red. Labelled Cat's First Aid, Dog's, Hamster, Chinchilla
and finally Lucy.
Then there are 4 tiny mason jars labelled Cat treats, ect so that if
anything like nail clipping is needed there's a reward :~)

It's admirable that you are working very hard to educate yourself and provide a good home for your chin. Many people take in pets without being fully aware of their needs. I did with my chin, took the previous owner's info as accurate and it wasn't. But after reading this forum and some well-checkup visits to the vet I'm learning a lot.

First aid kits are wonderful ideas, we have first aid items for our pets but they are in a cupboard all messy and not at all organized. I should make that a priority for us.

:)

GitaBooks, Hi and thank you for your welcome and your lovely comments.
I feel pretty honoured to have been able to help the creatures of every kind
that have been a part of my life.
Letting wild ones go free is heart wrenching and also incredibly rewarding. The Barn Owl population in Cornwall was dangerously low in the late 90's it's now very healthy and I can take great pride in knowing that in part that's due to 4 pairs of unrelated BO's I reared and released (with all proper documentation). I of those owls was my little boy
who I made waistcoats for until he grew chest feathers at 2 years :~)
The vet didn't think he'd live at all! He died aged 8 a great, great grandfather!
As for my cats we have a policy in this household of "Never eating friends or family." So far it's worked though I have had to rescue one cat from my Chameleon who was riding around clinging to her tale. Another was terrorised by a toad this winter that kept getting into the "kitten room", it would sit in front of one of the litter trays and scream if she tried to use it.
I trust my cats and dog but I wouldn't leave them with a child unsupervised for the safety of all concerned, I'll treat the Chinchilla the same way and never leave cats or dog unsupervised.
I know in the States you have different wild animals, but if you ever want advice please message me. I have a friend on Long Island who does "critter" rescue too and we talk daily so either of us would be happy to help :~)
Good luck, and I'd love to hear how you get on.

Thank you, I'd love all the help I can get.

I just got signed up for a training course at the local shelter so hopefully I'll be volunteering there soon and building my way up in the animal rescue community. : )

Latest posts

Back