Hi from Bradford UK

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allie1

Hi,

My name is Allie, I live in Bradford, I moved here recently for my first Nursing job but I'm originally from Newcastle.

I'm getting my first Chinchilla very soon and I am so excited to become a chin-parent. I want a male chinchilla and was thinking about calling him Toby but I would like some other name ideas?

I'm new to this and trying to find my way around the forum. I know there's probably been loads of posts about this but I couldn't find any. I'm just wanting a bit of advice regarding keeping chinchilla's cool? As I said, I live in the UK so I don't know if overheating is going to be a massive issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Allie

:heart5: xxxxxxxx

Hi Allie, I'm originally from Newcastle too, but now I'm in New Zealand!

Toby sounds like a nice name, but I often find it is better to wait until I have the pet before settling on a name: that way I can make sure the name really fits :)

In terms of keeping chins cool, nothing beats AC. It's pretty much the only long term option. You can try the "Search" function to use key words to find answers for any questions you might have.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi!! welcome to cnh! I always keep slabs of marble in my chinnie cage for them to lay on. I keep 4, 2 in the cage, 2 in the fridge and i switch them at the beginning and end of the day
i dont know if they ship to the UK but these are what i have
http://www.chinworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=PROD&product_code=CW110009

if they dont ship to you, you can just use marble from the hardware store
:) good luck!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for everyone's welcomes :)

Good advice thanks. I think I'll wait until I get him to choose his name.

The marble is such a good idea! Thank you.

xxxxx

:wave: Hello from a fellow Brit.

You may not get the heat too badly in Bradford but I'd still look into getting an aircon unit if you can. For the last couple of years or so we've been having temps in the high 20s & fans don't do anything but circulate warm air. I've had to run my air con units (I have 2 rooms) for several weeks at a time because the temperature has been so high.

Hi and welcome! It's great that you are doing your research now. Hope you can get your chinnie friend in the near future!

Hello fellow Brit & other chin-peeps :)

I'm loving this forum, everyone is so lovely & helpful and we all care about the same thing, chinchillas.

Yea I've been researching them for a good 4 months now, I'm going to view some on Saturday and I'm so excited.

Fellow Brit, is it Claire? Where about's are you in the UK. I've been in Bradford 6 months now and over summer it was in the 20's. I think I might save up for AC, I live in a top floor apartment and it's all dark beams and slanted ceilings, therefore, the windows are on the roof does that make sense? I hope they'd be okay for AC, I don't know much about it but don't you need a tube to go out the window??

Thanks again for all the welcomes.

xxxxx

Back