Hi Everyone!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatyana

I am new chinchilla owner! Decide to buy a chinchilla few month ago. All these time I spend at forums to know more about chins, to be prepared for new pet at home. Because I think these is huge responsibility to have a pet at home.
So, few days ago I pick up my boy from small NJ breeder. He looks healthy I think. The one problem- he didnt drink water from the bottle, I think he too exiting with a new huge home with a big play area, and its a little stress for him. But he eat good ( pellets and dry grass), I try even give him one rose bud yesterday and he finish it for few seconds. I try to give him a water from syringe these few days to prevent dehydration and hope he will drink by self for few more days. Did I do everything correct?

And I have one more question about his color. I think he is beige, but know that is few type of beige, so what type he is? I was too exiting when pick him up, that forget to ask his previous owner. So maybe you help me to know it.

Regards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
Belly

And these is his belly, I think it will help too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 17
He looks like a beige. What did the breeder tell you for color?

As far as the drinking goes, he may not be used to the type of bottle you use. Is yours different from the one the breeder uses? I it isn't, are you sure it's working correctly? Generally if a chin isn't drinking he won't eat, so if he's eating he should be staying hydrated. Is there a way for you to measure how much he is drinking? Chins don't drink a whole lot in a day so you won't see him emptying the bottle, but there should be at least some gone.

Welcome to CnH. Congrats on your new friend. :)

Thanks for your reply

I mark water level on the bottle but its stay the same two days. Today I change the water and mark again, and still nothing. But he still eat pellets and dry grass. And I give him 5 ml water twice the day. Breeder use the same water bottle with ball, so he know how to drink. I change water bottle location, for higher place to be closer to him, because mostly he sit on a higher shelf. Hope continue give him the water by syringe few more days until he will feel more comfortable in new home.

About color- breeder tell me that his parents are medium ebony and beige, but I thought he can be light pastel too, but as I new, I can be wrong. Thats why I decide to ask people who know about it.

where around NJ are you? I just moved out of there a year or so ago.

What kind of water are you using?

He looks like a beige. What did the breeder tell you for color?

I was thinking beige as well at first. But iv personally never seen a beige with the same color fur on his belly and his ears. Always the white belly and pink ears.

My chin didn't drink from her bottle first day(as far as I know). I was concerned as well. and read a trick of ripping open a raisin, and rubbing it on the nozzle and she went right to it and licked a bit. I did it again, so she would use it again longer, and seen her get a drop, made me happy. During the midnight I heard her going to town on the bottle. Heard some chins are used to some bottles, and need to learn when they get a new one. Plus, my chin was in a strange new environment so yea. Just takes time to adjust.

Your Chinchilla has a awesome color to it. I can't pick mine up and show her belly while taking a pic. she gets too hyper. Mine is 5 months old. how old is yours?

Hi

You can try pick him up for his tails base by one hand and make photo by phone with other hand. My boy is 4 month old, so like yours almost:)

Now my boy start drink by self, Thanks God. I mark the bottle by marker each time I change his water. And few times I thought how he drink.

Back