Heya from Vegas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well just letting you know its not going to be healthy to keep putting her back with the male in such short periods of time.she will just be a breeding machine..just trying to help you out. i dont want your little girl to stress out.

i think were going to get him fixed after this batch. I dont want to separate them for extended periods of time after each litter... they get along so well and it drove them nuts for the few weeks they were apart this last time. Id rather eliminate the pregnancy risk and keep them happy together.

Welcome to the forum! Many of us have learned of incorrect behavior after joining the forum! I used to give crust from a cherry turnover to my first chin! Yikes! The best thing you can do is read over all the threads in the chin section, you will learn so much!

Very nice cage I might add!

Hi and welcome - you will find lots of great info here - I would start with the breeding and babies FAQ!

Few comments - getting the male neutered is a good idea - be sure you don't put them back together right away as he needs time to recover and there can still be sperm inside the penis that will need time to clear. I am not sure of the recovery time but I believe it is several weeks.

Breedbacks can occur immediately leading up to birth, during birth, and in the days after just to let you know so if she is pregnant again make sure you take him out now.

I would replace the un chin safe wood even if they aren't chewing it right now - one of your babies might decide it looks tasty.

Also be sure that no other females are living with males especially any females younger than 9 months - if a female gets pregnant that is too small to pass kits safely it can be deadly. Your babies need to be weaned into same sex groups no later than 9 weeks but most people will wean 6-8 weeks depending on weight. Male kits can impregnate the mother or sisters if you aren't careful.

Hi and welcome! Your chins are very spoiled! What a beautiful cage you have for them! Thanks for the pics, they are all quite adorable!

Hi and welcome! I'm new to the forums too, and enjoying all of the great info here. I love the cage you built, and your chins are gorgeous!

By the way, I'm cracking up over your signature... "Hops-Lion Head Rabbit" and so on down to....... "Kahlua- stupid cat" ! lol!

Back