He's a boy, that's for sure! Is this normal!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinChilli

Hi there-

I've had Chilli for a few months now and he has just recently started doing this. I've cared for Chinchillas before but this is the first time I have ever expereinced one doing this.

This morning while I was getting ready for work I heard Chilli "crying" from the Chin room. It almost sounded like a baby cry and I was terrified that something was wrong so I went running to check on him. When I got there, he ran to the side of his cage to see my like he normally does and was energetic and appeared to be just fine.

I opened the door to give him some scritches and he "hugged" my hand and started having his way with it! I was completely mortified and quickly pulled my hand back out of the cage, but now there is no doubt it my mind that he is DEF. a male!

Has anyone else experienced their chins doing anything similar? Anything anyone can suggest so he stops trying to have his way with my hand?

very normal for a boy chin to `love on you`, as i call it, lol.

get him a cuddle buddy, so that he can take his `frustrations`out on it. there are quite a few members here on the forum that make safe fleece buddies. AnnieO even makes them chin shaped, they`re so cute!

Ha! Boji tried to have his way with my hand for the first 2 years I had him. Cuddle buddies are definitely the way. Be flattered... he likes you. *lol*

Chinchy does that all the time. I don't mind all that much because since he's started doing that, he's trusted us a lot more, and is really loving and affectionate. He prefers moving things, so as an alternative to my hand, I use a stuffed animal and move it around for him during playtime.

haha! I new what this thread was about before I opened it. The same thing just happened to me a few weeks ago. I was terrified Shadowfax was attacking my wrist because it was such an aggressive move on his part. After the second day I figured out what was going on. I just recently added two buddies for Shadowfax. Now he has his way with them instead of me. Actually they all seem to enjoy having their way with each other. :)

The first time one of my chins did that, I thought he was trying to climb my arm to get out of the cage. It did not take long to figure out what he was really doing. I have had quite a few that think my wrist is the perfect female chin. Right now I have a boy here that tries every time I reach into his cage. His nickname is the hump monster.

Well none of my boys ever did that to my hand BUT I was surely startled one morning when I saw for the very first time, one of them cleaning/grooming himself. Let's just say that I quickly left the room so that he could have some alone time.

I had one recently fall asleep while doing his business, I looked in house and he was hunched over doing his grooming so I left, came back 15 min later and he was still in the same position, got ready to get him out to check for a hair ring and noticed his eyes were closed and he was not moving, tapped on the cage door and he woke up and gave me a dirty look!

My chinnie did that for a while but hes calm a bit. But with 2 boys now, I added a cuddle buddy so they can use it as I see it ALL the time. lol its kinda cute and kinda weird. But it seems the chinnie like you! so thats greaT!

I'm so glad to hear that he isn't the only one! I will def. look into getting him a cuddle buddy so that he can "love" something besides my hand. Thank you everyone for the great advice and stories... I don't think anyone can really relate to how funny/ackward this is if they don't have chins!

my first boy did that all the time. Kinda freaks you out the first time. wtf?! did he do what i think he just did!? 0.0 lol

He was so happy when i got him a girl to live with. However he was quite unhappy when i had to seperate them.. after 3 kids.

He loves getting his stomic scratced. Tho he will try to push my finger lower at times'

Back