Helping mama clean the kits?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
One of my chins gave birth earlier this morning. And I noticed the kit was not properly cleaned, atleast thats what it looks like to me. Its one ear still has crusty stuff over it and a tad on the side of its face. I figured mama would take care of it, but 5 hours later and its still there and he/she is dry. The poor little things ear is literally crusted down to his head, and it looks like he/she can't open their eyes all the way. Is there anything I can do to clean the poor thing up? I've heard of moms over-grooming and taking off body parts, so I really don't want this poor little one loosing their ear...

The other side of his/her face is perfectly fine. It just seems like mama didn't clean this side?

Attachments

• DSC00677.jpg
    DSC00677.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 111
A damp wash cloth should do the trick. usually moms get it all

I'm trying to gently wipe him/her but he keeps squirming and squeeking, and I feel like I'm hurting him. It seems to be crusted pretty good. I don't want to get him/her too wet, but the damp cloth doesn't seem to be working. Will mama go back to cleaning? Or should I continue trying to wipe?

Alright, I'll try to be constructive this time... Are you using a warm wet washcloth? The warm water is more likely to loosen and breakdown the dried on goop. Try that, but dont rub too hard on the little one. Also, come on that picture is priceless, you'll be showing that one to his prom date some day!

I like his hair! :D

Use a slightly warm damp cloth, if you're being gentle and not pushing hard enough to be hurting him then don't worry, he's just complaining.

Sometimes mom will get tired and not finish cleaning. I would not use a baby wipe or anything in this situation, just warm water on a clean cloth, so mom smells the smell of him. If needed hold the warm wash cloth on the area for a minute or two then gently rub the way the fur is going. Towel dry and he should be fine.

Just keep gently working with it until it's clean. You need to be able to get a good look at the ear to make sure there is no damage. Just rub the part you clean against mom's fur when you get done so her smell will be on him.

Alright, I'll try to be constructive this time... Are you using a warm wet washcloth? The warm water is more likely to loosen and breakdown the dried on goop. Try that, but dont rub too hard on the little one. Also, come on that picture is priceless, you'll be showing that one to his prom date some day!

TOOO funny!!! :thumbsup:

Back