help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailord00m

I have two male chinchillas and i am a bit concerned with the noises they make at night. Ive had my guys for a while now and they have been with each other since they left their mom. They get along usually, but latley me and my boyfriend have woken up to some noises. Sounds like theyre fighting, it just sounds like a bunch of commotion (becuase theyre usually in their house) Im not sure what to do, I havent experienced this before and i dont want anyone getting hurt. <aybe I should seperate them? help

If they are making noises that sound like fighting while they are in their house, I would separate them. The only reason I can think of for the noises would be fighting. If you wait too long, they could seriously injure each other. You could wake up one morning with 1 or 2 injured and possibly dead chins if you leave them together. If they have not drawn blood yet. You can wait a few weeks and then try to re-introduce them. If you do re-introduce, make sure that you have 2 houses, 2 water bottles, 2 feeders/bowls and 2 of each toy. This will help to prevent future fights over resources. It doesn't matter how long they have been together. Chins who share a cage can decide at any time that they no longer like each other, even if they are siblings.

If they only have one house they could be fighting over the house. My boys always had their own house to their selves to prevent fighting.

If they are fighting you should start seeing signs of fur slipping like fur missing or fur in the cage.

I personally would separate them until I knew for sure they were trying to harm one another. My boys had marriage disputes but they would always work it out.

My chinchilla pair bicker on occasion and once in a while the female will cause the male a fur slip, but that seemed to be resolved with having more sleeping and hiding spots. Also since giving them a triple level ferret nation I have not seen them fight at all. It could be they just need more space from eachother.

thanks everyone, im hoping they just need another home in their cage. I will def let you guys know if anything changes

a lot of ppl will include two+ of everything they can; water bottles, food dishes, etc. to help avoid squabbles with each other. Huts can be another one depending on its size.

Is it commotion between them, or just the sound of them bouncing off the walls or panicing around the cage?

Latest posts

Back