HELP!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyLiliLove

SassyChinchillasRescue
So last week i had rescued a set of four chins; a 3 legged chin (5 yr), a baby (12 wk), and the babies parents (5 yr). The mom and dad were kept in a single level critter nation. They were fed hamster food. I separated them to their own cages, so i didn't end up with babies. Switched their food to chinchilla food and gave them daily Oxbow multivitamins. Yesterday i went to the playroom (where they are housed) to let the chins out for playtime and both mom and dad were dead. There wasn't any blood or anything. I didn't notice any wounds, they looked as if they just fell asleep. Their poo was normal, they were eating and drinking normally. Though their tummies were poofy.
Could it be the stress of moving and splitting them up? Could it have been the hamster food or switching their food? Maybe bloat? Could it ave been the vitamins?
Do i need to worry about the baby and the 3 legged one? they seem normal and their tummies are fine. poo is normal, they are eating and drinking normally.
PLEASE HELP!

The only way to know for sure is to take them to the vet and have a necropsy done. I'd bring the nutrition label of the Oxbow multivitamins with you, along with a list of everything they had to eat since the separation. How heartbreaking! I'm so sorry.

It would be extremely rare for them to die of stress since its been over a week. If it had been a day or 2 then it would have been possibility. How close were those 2 chins caged? Was it near an air vent? I've seen chins over heat easily and pass away. A necropsy is your best bet if you want to know for sure.

I would definitely get a necropsy. It is very suspect that they were both dead. I hope they were quarantined from your other chins. Keep a close eye on everyone.

They were quarantined. I just can't believe it. it makes me feel like a bad owner. :( i do know it happens when you take in rescues though. It's just saddening to see when you help an animal that it dies. :/

Latest posts

Back