Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

manda-panda

Okay, so I'm a little worried about my chinchilla. She is biting the bars of her cage and moving back and forth quickly. She usually doesnt do this? Do you guys know whats going on? Is she just bored? Also..she usually poo's a lot when we take her out to play, but this time she didnt at all.

-Mandy

Where did you have play time? How long was play time? Was the play room chinnie-proofed? Anything else out of the ordinary for today?

We have play time in the bathroom, and I always put everything harmful away. I also watch her closely so that she wont chew on anything. Nothing has been out of the ordinary today, but play time was a bit short. Do you think she is just bored?

I've had her for about a month and a half. She's acting a little more normal than before, I'm still a tad concerned though. I'm not sure if she is pooping now, i'll have to check her in the morning. It's dark and my roomie is asleep.

She may just be getting used to you and her new surroundings. Some chinchillas take months. Now that she feels safe around you and your place she probably wants more out time. I have a two hour playtime in the evening with Petra and I can still hear her bouncing around at night from the other room and in the afternoon she spends about 20 mins running laps as fast as she can round her cage, chewing at the bars. ect. I have never had a health issue with her.

Just as long as you chin is eating, drinking, and peeping normally I wouldn't be worried.

Some of my chins are just 'bar chewers' some are not. I don't know if they think they can chew their way thru them, are just using up nervous energy or trying to get your attention. I have another one that will sit outside a fleece tube with the outside of the tube in his mouth. He doesn't chew it or anything, he just sits with it in his mouth. Kinda like a thumb sucking thing. They all have their little weird habits.

My chin does the exact same thing. We have had to keep him in his cage for over a month now while his toes heal so he has been bar chewing A LOT. I think it's just a sign they want to come out and play. I wouldn't be worried about it.

Some chinchillas are labelled as "bar runners" and that's exactly what they do - a habitual behavior where they just chew on bars and run back and forth along the cage bars.

It is a sign of boredom and can lead to high stress (which can form itself into other habits as fur chewing), that is why outside-the-cage playtime is so important. They are captive animals and they always need to be mentally stimulated. Constantly introducing new toys and re-arranging them can limit this behavior while they are in the cage - but still a couple hours of exercise outside the cage will help prevent these behaviors.

If you go to a zoo, the zoo keepers will tell you that a few of their animals have developed habitual behaviors in their habitats which may involve pacing, OCD movement of objects, etc - these are all negative qualities to have. Captive animals need a lot of mental stimulation!

If she still hasn't pooped or you are concerned that she may be constipated - try giving her 1 raisin. I NEVER promote giving fruits as treats but raisins have been shown to be a laxative and most breeders will recommend this. If there is still nothing, you may have to see a vet.

Latest posts

Back