help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure there is any electrical current in the headphone cord, there is in chargers of course. Is he swiping his mouth? If he is doing it more than the usual amout he has burned his mouth and will need a vet for antibiotics and pain meds.

I doubt he will die this time, how is he acting? Is he wimpering, crying, swiping his mouth? Does he smell like burnt fur, skin?

If it wasn't plugged in then no, he wasn't shocked. If he swallowed the plastic he could be at a risk for impaction. Watch him closely and look for any change in his energy or the size of his poops.

This is why you MUST constantly watch chins every single second when they are outside their cage. They will chew any and everything. Watch them like a hawk.

I was careless a couple of summers ago and my chin chewed on the cord of a fan I had sitting to close to her cage. The wire was exposed in several locations, but my chin was fine...thank goodness. I have since learned not to have anything even remotely close to her cage and pen. You just can't be too careful. If your chin runs around loose, not in a pen, then get down on his level and make sure there is nothing harmful for him to come in contact with, since they will chew on anything.

Jenn's chin was fine but I have heard true stories of chins being seriously injured and killed from electrocution when chewing cords. One had severe burns in and around his mouth and believe me, the owner felt horrible. She never meant to hurt him, it was an honest mistake, which is why I wanted to throw that out there to remind everyone how important it is to ALWAYS watch chins when they're out for play time and don't let anything within six inches of the cage that they can't chew.

I had a chin a long time ago chew the power cord of a lamp that was turned on. Thankfully she was fine.

Back