HELP!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SymoneSterr

I have had Max for about 4 months now. With his previous owner, he was tamed, and when I went to get him, the prev. simply placed him in my arms and I held him. Since then I have never held him. He is used to me lets me pet him touch his paws, scratch his ears, ect. ect. I think most of the problem is me. I really do not want to hurt him, I tried grasping the base of the tail first but he barked and didn't like it. I asked his prev. owner how he did, and he explained it to me but I didn't quite get it. Is there another way???

Also, ever since I made Max cupcakes (baked mushed pellets) he seems to like me to add a little bit of water to his food and mush it up lol. Is this okay?

I didn't mean to write a book but, I would really appreciate it if someone would be able to answer my questions :)

OH Last but not least I might be getting another chin this week sometime ;)

How old is Max? If you do not moisten his pellets does he eat them without difficulty?

Max is 4yrs old. Yes, he eats his pellets perfectly fine with out them being moist. He just seems to "dig in" more when they are moist as if its a special treat. :)

You don't want to mush his pellets up he needs those strong to help wear down his teeth and many chinchillas do not like to be held per say they just like scritches

You may want to try slipping your hand under him to lift him up and then placing your hand on his tail. He may just be uncomfortable with you grabbing his tail.

One of my boys will jump into my hand and then let me hold his tail, but if I try to pick him up he'll kack at me

it's worth a shot ;)

Chewing, hay, food, holding...

My chin, Sunny, lets me hold him for usually only a couple minutes at a time. If an emergency ever popped up, or even just going to the vet, it has to be done for at least a few seconds, so it's important to know how and that they know they'll be safe in your hands. I have him sit on my forearm (all 4 feet) while holding the base of his tail, holding him against my chest. He feels secure there, but bored very quickly, lol. It's normal that they don't like it, but its important. Maybe yours needs a little extra time to bond closer with you, or it just knows you'll stop when it barks, so it barks! They're smart and learn ways to control you pretty quickly, lol! I once read about a chin who would bark really loud at night so their owner would come in the room, lol-it wanted out of it's cage again:)

I wouldn't moosh his food. The hardness of it is good for their teeth, but also, if it got into his fur....If he's gotten very used to it and won't eat hard pellets as much, try adding a little less water everyday, eventuually getting back to hard.

How does he eat his Timothy Hay everyday? And how much does he chew on his wood and pumice? Check his teeth to make sure he's wearing them down and that they're yellowish-orange. Sunny won't let me check his teeth sometimes-I don't want to struggle with him-so I hold a treat up above him where he has to sit up on his hind legs, and when he's biting for it, I can see his teeth very well.

He may just like the mooshy food, or there could be more to it. If you're sure he just likes it, then try gradually adding less and less water to it. If it could be more, check his teeth and monitor how much loose hay he eats a day by putting in a smaller amount and seeing what he's eaten throughout the day and night (factor in what he wastes, too)-you could even weigh it. Also, check his chew toys to see how much damage he does to them every day.

If it is more than just him liking it, he needs the vet-it could be Malocclusion. It's probably just him liking the mooshy better, though! They very rarely, if ever, get anything mooshy, so maybe he likes the weirdness of it, lol. Get him back on hard and maybe once in awhile as a treat (not in place of the hard), moosh up like 2 tsp of food for him.

I free feed my chin Mazuri-he eats about 1 1/2-2 tablespoons per day without me even having to measure it. When I first brought him home and started slowly weaning him off the breeders food, he went crazy ffor the Mazuri-hers must've been less tasty. Once it was mostly Mazuri and barely any of hers, he started ignoring hers completly. Thank god this didn't effect him-no diarehea or anything. What kind of food do you feed yours? Maybe he'd find another brand more appetizing, like Mazuri Chinchilla Pellets, Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe, or Tradition Chinchilla Pellets- http://mistywaterwoman.webs.com/nutrition.htm -my favorite website about chins! Besides this one of course;)

Back