Help with my hedgehog work

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rach06ao

Chinnie Lover
Hi Guys
Im a chinnie owner btw and I know hardly anything about hedgehogs! I was wondering if someone could help me?
I have to write an assignment for my exotic animal course on hedgehogs (most of which I got answers from research!) - but im stuck on:

"describing hedgehog behaviours regarding sleep, social nature, and handling"

I've heard they are nocturnal and do not generally like to be handled.
But what is their social nature? Do they interact with humans or not?
(Domestic hedgehogs only)

Thank you :)

I've heard they are nocturnal and do not generally like to be handled.
But what is their social nature? Do they interact with humans or not?

Yes, generally, they're nocturnal. But my two would often be up around early evening looking for a quick bite to eat. And, at night, I'd find them sleeping - Satin, under her covers... Tex out in the open including on his wheel.

Their social nature... boy, that really depends on the hedgie. Some are very skiddish and just barely tolerate humans. They'll huff and puff and shake and hiss. Others are very social and will actively seek out their humans. Most are somewhere in the middle.

Personally, I think I lucked out with two rather social hedgehogs. They both appeared to enjoy being held.

Satin would seek me out, climb up me, and settle herself on my belly. She was definitely a "momma's girl" and established a clear ranking system for who she liked better than others. If I was anywhere around, she'd find her way into my arms. If I wasn't there, her second favorite was my husband. Then, after that, her "aunt." Then others. In contrast, she did NOT like my mom... who provided hedgie-sitting services whilst wearing oven mitts. Mom didn't start out wearing the mitts... but several bloody bites later, the mitts came out. <-- I meant "bloody" in the literal sense; not the British cursing version. My sweet, gentle, baby actually drew blood!?! With me and hedgiedaddy, however, she was very interactive and good at communicating her needs.

Tex was more aloof, he wouldn't necessarily seek me out like how Satin would, but he became quite visibly distressed when he wasn't in direct contact with me on a daily basis. This little fella definitely needed human touch to be okay; else, psychologically, he headed downhill pretty fast.

Back