Help with Meds/Feeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

Chia is sick and has seen a vet, who kept her over night. She's back in my care now, but I have to give her 2 kinds of meds and she's still not eating enough for my liking (but she is eating!)

I'm having a lot of trouble forcing her to eat and take meds. She's insanely stubborn when it comes to being handled. She HATES it. I tried to get her into a burrito wrap yesterday and it was impossible, I thought she broke her leg just from desperately trying to get away from me. (She didn't, her leg is fine, she just twisted weird.)

She'll eat small amounts of CC on her own, but I need a way to get meds into her, especially in the morning. She'll take the Metacam easily, but I was also given Trim/Sulfa and she was having NONE of it. She doesn't want it no matter what I do...

Help!!

Might be easier if you can have someone else hold her while you give the meds. Burrito wrap her up.

You need to weigh her each day and make sure she isn't dropping weight. You are going o have to force her to take it even though she doesn't like it. It will get easier.

If she doesn't like the critical care you can mix 100% pure pumpkin in the critical care to make it taste better. Or even get Apple Banana Critical Care.
Or you can order Lifeline from Chocolate Chinchillas. I've never had a chin to turn down Critical Care with Lifeline mixed in. You can also give lifeline by itself, mixed or powdered.

Have you tried giving meds and feeding her without restraining her? Several of my guys would fight tooth and nail if I tried to hold them and feed them but if I left them alone and just held the syringe up to them they would take it willingly.

I would also dip the tip of the syringe in gas drops. They loved the taste and would latch on to it. Then I would just squirt the meds in while they were licking off the gas drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far, I've only been feeding her without restraining her. She's too squirmy and just really really freaks out, and I don't want to hurt her. My boyfriend and I tried, but it was less productive than just letting her eat on her own. She gets too scared and mad at me, so she refuses to eat after.

I've been mixing whatever meds I can't get in her with some CC. I had the Apple Banana CC already at home, but it expired. When she was really sick I still used it, but the vet gave me some of the regular stuff which she likes if I mixed it with pumpkin. Ordering anything extra is just not an option right now as I literally have no more money.

She was hoppy last night and doing some of the things she usually does (basically being a little pain in the butt.) She's eating hay really well, and every time I give her CC she eats some pellets after. She really likes the metacam, of course they make the one I only have to give her once a day for 5 days smell like cherries. Her weight isn't great, but I'm pleased with her improvement. I'm looking forward to being able to monitor her over the weekend.

Back