Help with Hand Feeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbee

RIP Boog <3
My chin, Boog, is currently being treated for stasis. I'm hand feeding him Critical Care, but we are having a tough time.

He hates it and spits almost all of it out. I've tried several different consistencies.

Any tips on how to get the food down him?

Thanks!

Listen to Dawn - she knows what she is talking about for sure.

When I handfed for the first time, I found that I was doing two things wrong. It is important to put the syringe in from the side of their mouth behind their molars, it is harder for them to spit it out that way.

Also, I was letting the chin dictate how much they wanted (which is next to none), rather than force the issue.

Once I figured out where to put the syringe and to not play so nice and get down to business the chin followed my lead. It takes a couple of feedings or even couple of days for them to get the hang of it and realize that you are not trying to kill them.

To add to the advice, when burrito wrapping a chin, make sure you are pinning their arms down with your thumb. That was one of my mistakes. They always manage to wiggle out unless you have arms pinned

Thanks so much for the tips everyone!

Chinchilla burrito is definitely not as easy as it sounds haha. Plus he spits the food all down his front - even though the towel is there! :hmm:

Dawn, I will check out the videos.

Dawn - thank you so much for posting those videos! We did the chinchilla burrito and held him on his back and he ate so well! He didn't want to - but he couldn't spit it all out like before.

I feel like I got a pretty good amount of food into him and also a small amount of water.

It takes a while to get the hang of it but it gets easier each time you do it. Don't worry about giving more water - there is plenty of water in the mixture for a chin

Back