help with cage??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PITSTOP64

Hi,
I am a new chin owner & just got 2 new babies,that I will pick up next week!!
I am really having new owner anxiety for purchasing a cage,and really need help?
There are just 2 many options,and I dont know which to order?
I know the best sites are Martins cages & Quality cages.
So if someone out there could please let me know which cage would be best to purchase from either site for my babies I would really appreciate it?
Also,supplies.....although I have read every thing there is to know,I am overwhelmed!!
So what cage is best for 2 chins?
Thanks...:hmm:

Those aren't the "best" sites. They are just two sites that sell cages. Most people on here will recommend either the Ferret Nation 142 or the Critter Nation. They are large and roomy so you can put in plenty of "stuff." If you do a search for ferret nation club, you'll find a thread that shows pictures of some ideas about how to load up a FN142. The CN is pretty much the same thing, but a bit easier to put together, as you don't need tools. A one level would work just fine for 2 chins, but if you want to expand later, I believe it's cheaper to buy the one level up front. As a bonus, Wal-Mart.com now carries both of these cages with free shipping to you.

As far as supplies, that's entirely up to you. Some people use a wheel, some don't. Lots of wood shelves are good in the bigger cages, hammocks, fleece covered tubes, leap 'n ledges, a dust bath, dust to put in the dust bath, good quality feed, good quality hay, filtered or reverse osmosis water.

THE two biggest things you need? An air conditioner and a vet.

Wow...Thanks so much for the info...I really like this site!!
Any ways..I am going to check out the cages you just suggested as soon as Im done respondng here!
Also,I have the feed down,but I havent heard of reverse osmosis water ?
Thats a new one for me!!
Ill get back to you...thanks...Penelope

I would definitely go with either the CN or the FN. Not only is there a ton of room in them but you can also, very easily, separate the two cages if the two new babies should not get along.

bostongirl has a good point. it mite be a good idea to get the 2 level ferret nation cage (model 142) in case later on they decide to fight and then you will have the option to seperate them if needed. just because they grew up together doesnt mean they will get along their whole life. the ferret nation cage is about the same as the critter nation, but the ferret nation cage is cheaper.

There is nothing wrong with Martin or QC cages, I have had Martins cages, they are well made and easier to deck out then a FN. I now own all FN142's simply because they are easier to clean and you can seperate them. Just to throw that out there.

There is nothing wrong with Martin or QC cages, I have had Martins cages, they are well made and easier to deck out then a FN. I now own all FN142's simply because they are easier to clean and you can seperate them. Just to throw that out there.

So it seems everyone is suggesting a ferret nation cage?

Back