Help..which waterproof digital camera???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arf2184

My Panasonic TZ5 has been dropped a few too many times, has a few dents, doesn't focus as well as it used to and the lens cover needs nudged to get it to open and close. So I pre-ordered a new Canon SX210 (I like the SX200...the 210 is mostly the same but with a bit more zoom, a wide angle lens, and the flash can be put down when not in use).

I'm going kayaking and on a raft float in Alaska in late May and I don't want to risk ruining my new camera, but I don't want to be limited in the number of shots I can take with the waterproof disposable cameras. So I've been looking at waterproof digital cameras. It would be nice to have one anyway for taking to the lake, ocean and water park later on. I'm having a hard time making a decision.

I'm looking for a durable camera that is not going to leak and takes decent pictures and video clips. I don't anticipate printing anything larger that 5x7. I don't expect a waterproof point and shoot to take good indoor/low light pics. I don't anticipate going deep underwater so a 10ft max depth is fine.

The reviews are quite varied, though the Canon D10 seems to be a favorite on both Amazon and DP Review. Costco has it online priced at $299...I was hoping to keep it closer to $200 though.

Here are a few I'm considering:
(being able to buy at Costco is a plus because it can be easily returned within 90-days)

Canon D10 - Available at Costco for $299. Mostly good reviews. Kind of odd looking and higher priced than I had hoped to spend, but I am considering it.

Casio Exilim EX-G1 - Costco has this one for about $250. Mixed reviews. Has a time-lapse feature which would be cool to play with.

Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 - Costco has this one in store for $199. The price is right, but it uses and xD card (not SD) and the floor model I played with was slow and the screen kept going black for no apparent reason.

Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 - Newer model. $299 at Amazon. No reviews yet.

Fuji FinePix XP10 - Amazon has it for $199 for pre-order. Not out yet but should be soon. Amazon has last years model Z33 for $130.

Panasonic TS1 - On Amazon for about $250. Mostly good reviews and I like my Panasonic TZ5 before it was damaged, but I read to maintain the warranty they want you to send the camera in once a year to get new seals (at your expense). There is a TS2 coming out soon, but its $400.

Does anyone own or have any experience with waterproof digital cameras? Which would you get?

I use an Olympus Stylus 720 SW, I got it a few years ago. It's held up but I, too, wish it was a little faster. I do like all the features it has, such as video, behind glass, night time, food, panoramic, underwater, portrait, and so on, over 20 settings in all, in addition to macro, super macro, and shaky hand stabilization settings.

Last edited:
I have the Olympus Stylus 770 SW and I hate it. Yes it has all the fancy features but it takes horrible pictures. if you aren't outside in ideal lighting pictures come out grainy and blurry. When I spoke to an Olympus rep at an outdoor show the only thing he had to say was, "well at least it wont break"

I have since switched to the Cannon D10 and Love it. It takes great pictures and is easy to use.

I dont know much about the camera's but two things above caught my eye. first thing about the 90 day return..........i am sure you can find a similar return policy with other companies that may have better options & prices.
you also mentioned that there was one camera that was offered in last years model. i think if this is only a secondary camera that will not be used much that is a really good option........maybe you can find the brand & options you love at last years prices??

My dad goes kayaking and sailing and decided on a case or bag for his regular digital camera, rather than getting a camera that's waterproof. I know he was looking at both, not sure which he decided on. Seems to take decent pictures that way. I can ask him if you want.

Back