help please!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davey

iv had my chinchilla for about 2years and he has been fine, not a problem till now. i noticed a dark line down the side of his body and knew summit wasnt right because he wasnt wet or anything so i moved his fur about and noticed a square inch of hair missing, it is totaly bald, and thers a lil red coloured spot (im not sure wether its a marking or something that was already there) he isnt behaving diffrent and looks happy as normal but i am very worried and want to take him to the vets but i know theres alot of ppl on here who know wot they are talking about and may save me and my chin the stress, your help would be very much apprieciated as i absalutely love my chin to bits :tantrum:

It's possible he's developing fungus and that's the start of it. Or it's possible he's hurt himself inside of his cage or when he's out for run time. There's really no way to tell at this point without at least a picture so we can see whats going on. Are you able to post pictures?

picture

i could post a picture, but dont know how to upload onto here lol can you explain how to please, just im new to the site and dont know how to do anything. very good site though may i add

My son left the oven door open once when Joey chin was out for playtime, Joey did hop on there and the oven rack singed his whole side in a line and the open oven door singed his testicles. Does the fur smell burned? Joeys did. I thought of something while typing....maybe he bit an electrical cord? I know when I got shocked badly it burned me up my arm and exited down my stomach. That was just from touching a fork to a cooking pan on the stove. Is he eating, pawing at his mouth, drooling?

im just sorting out getting them posted now, thanx! and addictedtochins, he never gets anywhere near any cable or anything hot, he stays in my sitting room and i chinchilla proof the life outa it, no gap or wire in sight, its just till we move into a bigger house and im gonna give him a room of his own and get another chin for company, he is doing alot of scratching on the side that has the patch and he still eats, i dont think hed ever stop eating even if he was ill lol (he loves food), hopefully the pics will be able to help

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j403/daveysafc/Chinchilla.jpg thats wot he looks, very good looking chinchilla :) just taking pics of his side, my friend had him for a year before me and they wernt very good with him so hes not very easy to handle (im the only person that he will let hold him, and thats even only when he decides he wants too 'the little bugga' lol) so it should be fun taking these pics :) couple of treats should do the trick lol

Chinchilla2.jpg

another thing he loves to sleep on the part of the top ledge he has chewed down so much he can just say manage to fit on it, so he keeps on falling off while a sleep. im getting another ledge to put in tommorrow, and thats the only way i can think of him hurting himself

i don't have enough experience with chin skin issues to give you sound advice about the patches, but i would take him in to a good exotic vet to get a clear diagnosis.

one thing i do want to say though, is that the rope hammock you have in there is very dangerous. your chin could eat the rope fibers and get an impaction in his digestive system. polar fleece/anti-pill fleece is the only safe fabric to use in a chin's cage.

i don't have enough experience with chin skin issues to give you sound advice about the patches, but i would take him in to a good exotic vet to get a clear diagnosis.

one thing i do want to say though, is that the rope hammock you have in there is very dangerous. your chin could eat the rope fibers and get an impaction in his digestive system. polar fleece/anti-pill fleece is the only safe fabric to use in a chin's cage.

honestly?? i will take it straight out then, my friend bought it from a pets at home store selling it specifically for chinchillas 2 year ago, if this cause problems with my chin i will be taking it up with the store!! hes already chewed some of it, thanks very much for letting me know

sadly, most of the products sold in pet stores that are marketed for chins are actually quite dangerous and unhealthy for them. it is much better to go through a vendor/online store via the members here on the forum. there are many members here that sell wood, treats, hammocks, other fleece items, pellets, and more! check out the classifieds section.

I can't see the skin clearly to know if there is fungus there. The picture is a bit blurry; however, that is not the "usual" place for fungus to start. Generally it starts around the eyes, mouth, nose, and genitalia - places where there is moisture. It's possible this is just a fur slip.

Does the area feel scaly and dry? Does it look flaky?

im gonna start buying everything offline through these forums, just wish i had known about this site before, would it be best to change one thing at a time? like his hay at one time and then food after then treats? these are the ingredients for the fruit salad treat bag i use, dried banana, rose hips, potato, parsnip, carrot, rowan berrys and leek, i also use pets at home home brand yogurt drops, isomalt, milk and milk derivatives (yogurt powder 4%, oils and fats, cereals, derivates of vegetable origin, vitamins, have these been bad for my chin??

I can't see the skin clearly to know if there is fungus there. The picture is a bit blurry; however, that is not the "usual" place for fungus to start. Generally it starts around the eyes, mouth, nose, and genitalia - places where there is moisture. It's possible this is just a fur slip.

Does the area feel scaly and dry? Does it look flaky?

no the skin feels nice and smooth, no drieness or flaking, whats fur slip?

Latest posts

Back