Help Pease!!!! Injury

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xWi11yxW0nk4x

My chinchilla was out playing today and everything seemed fine. but later on, i found him losing his balance and limping. he tried to walk but his front leg(s) seems to be hurt. I really dont know what to do.
i gave him a treat and he accepted so his appetite is fine. I really can't lose him. please, does anyone know whats wrong and any vets nearby? i live in austin tx

Where was he playing? Could he have fallen from a height or gotten into something? If he can take a treat in his front paws, hold it, and eat it, then the injury is probably not in his paws. It could be in his spine, he could have run into something, fallen off or something, or he could have had a seizure and his front paws really aren't injured.

How long ago did this happen and how is he acting now?

He was playing in his usual room. and at first i had to hold the treat for him but now he seems to be alot better. he is eating hay. i removed levels to restrict excess movement. for a while he would sway and stumble over himself when trying to move. I was sooo worried. Limping is verry occassional. should i still take him to a vet or wait a day?

The falling over would be concerning, but that should not be affected by his front paws, as chins can and do hop on their rear paws just fine.

If he's acting better now, no longer falling over, etc. I would keep him in a one level cage and observe him. Watch eating, pooping, peeing, drinking. Make sure everything is normal.

How warm was the room where he was playing?

Just wanted to add something from a google search. (It would be a good idea for you to go ahead and select a vet even if you don't choose to take him in this time.)

I don't know anything about this person or their site, but there is a list of vets and I saw at least one in Austin. ( know the 2 she has listed for Kansas are the only two I know of that are chin competant.)

http://www.southernchins.com/information/veterinarians.php

ok i will check out the site and keep an eye out for him. the temperature i remember was warmer then nromal but it wasn't dangerously high.

i really want to thank you both for helping :) i am soo relieved to have found this site!!

If a chin is playing excessively "not dangerously high" but warm can still be enough for a heat stroke. For example it could be a nice spring day and you might want a sweatshirt, but if you run a mile or two in the sweatshirt you'll be super hot. The only difference is chins have a fur coat instead of a sweatshirt.

With the poor balance my first thought was heat exhaustion, could it cause limping? Probably not, but pulling or straining a muscle while playing could.

I would have a vet ready to call, and keep a close eye on, making sure the temps are cool, and fresh water is available.

And if you don't have one, a thermometer with humidity reading is a big plus. Sometimes what you consider just a little warm is actually way too warm for them. I know it's winter now so humidity isn't as bad, especially in Texas, but with the heater on and whatnot you need to keep an eye on the temp for the chin's sake. I have one in both rooms where my chins are.

Back