Help needed for feeding!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLostLena

Hi guys I recently posted in the diet and nutrition section about my chin.
He is back from having his teeth surgery and has only gone for a check up in the vet last Friday. She wants him to put on some weight as she is worried about it.
As I've mentioned in the last post he isn't interested in eating.
I've put it down to the possibility that his teeth/jaw is sore so doing what I've done before I mashed some of his pellets and added some water to make them softer for him to eat as the vet suggested last time.
He was only picking at it before but now hes deciding that he just isnt interested in his food. In realising this I've been searching new things to try and its been suggested to try baby food, in getting some he just doesnt like it... Although baby biscuits he does.
He will eat his raisins though, which I feed rarely but because of this he deserved one today.
Some chin owners here have suggested alfafa hay? Not sure how to spell sorry, I cant seem to find that.
Really worried on what I can do. He uses his flying saucer still and his Sandbath acting like nothing is wrong but clearly there is..any ideas please?

U need to get him critical care Rn. Go buy it from the vet and make sure you mix water with it and feed her in a syringe. Chinchillas need to be eating. Give it plenty of hay along with water. Make sure it's drinking and eating and pooping.

Agreed, you may need to resort to hand feeding Critical Care. My dental chin sometime takes a long time to start eating well on his own. They need a minimum of 60 mls of it daily just to maintain their weight. Mine also like alfalfa hay when his mouth is sore.

:update: Thank you guys so much for your replies!
I have taken him to the vets again and have gotten Critical care with a syringe to feed him with. He needs to be fed with it up to 5 times a day.
At first he didnt like it but now he seems to be getting the hang of it!
He's due back for check up in the vets on Saturday, fingerscrossed that alls good!

Hopefully the end verdict will be good, I'll keep you's posted!
Thanks again!

Back