Help my Chinchilla Hates Girlfriend :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottf

I have a 13 year old female chinchilla who has always been pretty skittish and timid but over the years has become very comfortable with me where she will allow rubs and sitting in my lap and to be picked up. I recently met a girl I love very much and we are moving in together. My Chinchilla is set up in a bedroom with free roam that is all lined in pine board and obstacles so she has her own environment.

When my chinchilla met my girl friend we sat Indian style and my chinchilla began making agitated noises and acting very excitable, circling my girlfriend, leaping over her knee, jumping in her lap and grunting and stretching to get close to her face.

Last night we tried again and my chinchilla actually bit her on the lip and arm, drew a little blood even. I have never seen her behave this way and I am at a loss. She has met other people who are my friends and I have had people feed her when I am on long trips and I have not heard of her every being aggressive.

Does anyone have any insight on this behavior or tips? I am just stunned and was not prepared for this at all.

My guess is your girlfriend is wearing something that the chin doesn't like the smell of. Could be makeup, perfume or even shampoo.

Maybe the chinchilla is curious.

Can you also take a photo of the bedroom, I want to see what you did. :)

Interesting, to think of it being a smell setting her off. My girfriend does smoke. Could that be it? I did have one friend that smoked look after her while out of town a few times but he was not a heavy smoker and I don't think he sat with her long or anything like that.

She did bite in the lip and hand/arm area where the strongest sent of cigarette might be.

Would this be an aggression/aggitation behavior or more an over-excited curiousity?

a new person into the chins environment, he is going to react. This stranger is unknown and unfamiliar to him. Best case; it will take time for the chin to get used to her (as with anyone)

It could also be something specific obcsed mentioned. Its can be hard to notice but its worth paying attention to specifics. For example i learned that while my chins loved when my dad gave them twigs in the morning, they hated the sound of his voice. Often times when he would talk during the day when they were asleep, one of my girls would often wake up, stick her head out of her hut, and start barking at him until he shut up lol.

Yuki loves ballcaps. If someone is wearing a hat he at least acts ok with them to get to their hat. I wouldn't be surprised if they have quirks that go both ways.

My Girlfreind and I are moving to a new place. Do you think the new environment sounds and smells will be an opportunity for her to calm down and not be so defensive/agressive?

Has anyone else been through this, will she always hate my girlfriend or will she eventually accept her into her enviornment?

Did I make a mistake by introducing her to my girlfriend in her territory? Should we have done it in a different room?

Does anyone have any tips for reintroducing them once we get moved? I hope my chinchilla will eventually accept my girlfriend.

I think having your girlfriend spend more time with your chinchilla and maybe even have her be the one that does the daily care of the chin for a little while (or at least have her help you do it). This might help your chin get used to your girlfriend.

Also, can you please post pics of the room you have set up for your chin? I have always wondered if it would be possible to turn a whole room into a chin safe "cage"

Sure I will post pictures, she has been in a room set up this way for many many years and I have not had any issues with her being free in the room. I have taken her access away to anything harmful and she potties responsibly in her cage so there is no odor in the room.

I think it would be a good idea to have your girlfriend and the chinchilla spend some more time together. Even if it is just a few minutes at a time, have her talk to the chinchilla and offer chew sticks or something. This may help the chinchilla get used to her.

As far as strong smells and things like that affecting them, my fiance can't go near the chinchilla cage right after he puts his deodorant on because the chinchillas go crazy! It definitely could be a perfume or lotion she uses or something.

EDIT: I am also excited to see the chinchilla room you have set up. It sounds so cool!

I will post soon we have been moving and also going on a major scavenger hunt to get things for haloween party costumes. Uhg exhusted.

I think you are right more breif encounters instead of sitting with her for long periods until they have a chance to get used to each other.

Back