Help!. my babies are enemies .!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mane

Hi there :)

I'm troubled. I brought Buffy boy home he was ard 3 months old and now he's already 6 months old .

I rehomed Lugar girl 2 months ago and now she's 1 year old.

So two cages were set up side by side as usual for them to get the scent from each other . After one month , i tried to put them out to play tgth .However, how playful they were, once there's body contact between them they will Fight and "Boom " chucks of fur seen flying ard .

Tried swooping cages as well, but was unsucessful .

Is there other ways ?

xx mane xx

Why are you putting them together? They are male and female. Do you intend for them to breed and produce babies?

yes, if they are indeed male and female, you can't have them play together, even with you watching them the entire time. You're asking for babies by allowing them to be together. I would keep them separate, chins don't need to have playmates. I only have one chin who, because she doesn't get along with others, and she does just fine by herself. She has a saucer to run on, and a couple of cuddle buddies to keep her company.

I wouldn't force two chins together, especially if it's male or female. I rehomed a male chins last year and adopted a "male" chin from the pet store (they had no idea what they were dealing with apparently) and ended up with a baby!

Lesson learned, if you don't intend to breed don't put them together!!

Sometimes two chinchillas will not get along and when that happens they need to be kept separate, or they could kill each other. And male and female should not be allowed to even play together unless you intend to breed or you are looking for heaps and heaps of trouble

yeap i'm intending to breed them but only once cos i really hope a see them start a family ( : i'm confident in myself in giving them "tender loving care" i do not breed them to sell. i just want them to have thier own companionship & family ;)But i will learn more from other chin's experts out there.

Yesterday night was my last try , and it wasss sucessful! They didnt fight and got along so well. However , before i leave home for work , i seperated them again as there was no supervision on them during the day.

anyway, really glad to have all your advises and experiences ( : u guys are great !

Hi Mane,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but from your posts, you've only had chins for less than 6 months? So I can't help but feel you haven't really thought this through.

Breeding chins has its own risks and I feel I should warn you that chin-competent vets are few and far between in Singapore. In fact, I can count them all with one hand, and still have fingers left for spares. These vets are also either expensive, with filled-up schedules and generally do not do emergencies unless you are an old time client.

With breeding, you get kits. You will need to separate them from mom and dad and separate mom and dad as well since you say you are going to breed only once. Even if you do manage to keep sets of same sex pairs, you never know when they are going to dislike each other and fight - especially if they still have some growing up to do like the chins you have now. If that happens you can end up with as much as 4 cages or more. Do you have the space and time needed to clean out 4 cages and give each chin their playtime?

If you have thought about all these and have a plan, then I do apologize for being presumptuous. I just wanted to make sure you know about these things and not get in over your head.

Mane, YOU want them to have a family. The chins could not care less. They will mate (perform the sexual act) and conceive, because that's what animals do. They breed because it's instinct, not because the feel some great familial bond.

Here's how this "could" go. You put the male and female together, so you can experience birth, even if the female is too small or shouldn't be bred. They don't kill each other, which right now it sounds as though they can't stand each other. They have kits, hopefully without a $1500.00 C-section, if you can even find a vet there that can deal with chin pregnancies. Then you have to separate the dad so he doesn't breed back the female which can be very unhealthy. The female nurses the kits until they are ready to wean at 8 weeks. If you're lucky and you have a male and a female kit, you can split them, put a male with dad and a female with mom. Hopefully they will get along, but, maybe in six months they won't. In which case, you now need to have 4 different cages to house your 4 different chins because they can't live together without trying to fight to the death.

Then there's the whole issue of if mom can't raise the kits, are you available to feed them every 2 hours, around the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

YSY and I have expressed very similar thoughts on this. We hope you will consider all aspects of this situation before you allow it to happen, and that you are financially and emotionally prepared for the consequences.

YSY & TUNES ~

what you guys siad it's true... think i should then just leave them alone in thier own individual cage .

YSY - yes especially when i heard about DR HSU.. either on leave or fixed a appt which i 2 weeks away!. anyway really thanks for sharing ;)*seldom see singaporeans in this forum ....* u are e first =x

Tunes- i understand the process will be a tough one, my mom just ask me tdy morning,why am i making myself so busy with both chins.

I told her that how occupied and busy i am (go back home late still gotta do my daily chores like cleaning thier cages)but i never felt they are a burden to me , it's just like the same how my mommy treat me... ( : hahas

However , i'll give myself more time to think about all these issues ~~~thank you for ur precious advise.

*thhhaaannkkk u (;

Latest posts

Back