Help me to fix mistakes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To fasten the wire to the shelves, I've used those u shaped fence nails/staples from home depot, and you could use "mechanics wire" or even small hose clamps to fasten the hardware screen to the chrome pieces - just make sure the windings can't hurt the chins! As for the cost of replacing the shelves with K.D. pine - wouldn't be 1/2 the cost of a vet visit, and I wouldn't chance it!

I was thinking of lining it with something. That thought crossed my mind too. I was thinking I could put some sort of rubber grip on it or at least something that isn't toxic and can give an indication of knawing. I might also line the hole with the KD pine around the edges so that if he chews that, it's fine. Kind of like a thimble around every edge. It shouldn't be too hard to do. I'll keep the holes square and then put a 1/2 inch thick or so "U" shaped piece of KD pine around each of the edges if you can imagine that.

As for the killing someone else's chin... You do realize that there are other small mammals out there that use the same exercise balls that won't over heat? Those balls are good for mice and rats and guinea pigs.... So thanks for the positive comment, I appreciate being labeled a killer of someone else's chin.

Can you get thin, laminate type pine? Something like 1/8th or 1/4th inch pine and wrap that inside the holes? I'm trying to picture what you were describing. Chins will find a way to chew through whatever you present. They're tenacious.

As for the killing other people's chins comment, I was being quite facetious. I've seen people get pounced on here for stuff like that, hence my statement starting with "If I was irrational...". You weren't the target of the comment. I should have added a smiley. ;)

I'd be interested to see how this works out if you go ahead with it. I've always wanted to get a nice upright cabinet of sorts and convert it to a chin habitat. The FN cage is nice and all, but it does stand out in the living room if you know what I mean.

Cheers.

Just echoing the thought about the FN standing out...I love my chin and all, but I was SO tired of looking at that cage! I built him a new one that blends perfectly into our living room and takes advantage of previously-wasted space. It's posted in the cage pictures thread if anyone is interested. Yes, build your own from the start! You'll be happier in the long run.

Yea the metal idea on the edges might work too as long as I can insure it stays down and doesn't cut him. The u bolts for the cage are a good idea. I'll probably use those and then put a capped wingnut on it to ensure no sharp edges are hanging out.

Good point about the cost of the shelves. If you look in the picture, it seems that each level has a vertical support beam that runs into the board. If I can take off the boards easily, then I might consider replacing the panels with wood. If I can't, I might just make due with my original plan.

Here is a picture of what I am thinking to do. I might just cut each edge of the square hole an inch or so larger than I want and then place wood on the top and bottom, extending out that extra inch, to ensure he cannot get to the edge of the bad stuff. Then just hold it in place with short nails that do not go through the other side. I may even sand down the left edges in the picture to make more of a smooth ramp rather than an abrupt edge.

Edges.jpg

I'll post more pictures of the set up once I pick up this rack today, but here is my idea using MS paint.

Pachucosnewpalace.jpg

Last edited:
So the shelves do unscrew fairly easily so I will probably just switch to the wood levels to avoid having to do anything with the melamine. I'll use the melamine shelves to form the back of the cage.

I'll probably get started in the next week or so (girlfriend's spring break). I'll hopefully post pictures during the process for input. :thumbsup:

I didn't read all the way back where you first started discussing this, so not sure if this was mentioned, but remember that all the edges of the melamine are going to have to be covered with U-channel, as well as the holes you cut. If your chin chews the melamine, it's toxic and it can kill him.

I have to agree, this seems like more trouble than it's worth, but, I am THE least handy person on the planet so it just looks like too much to have to figure out. For those of you that enjoy this kind of thing, I bet it's a great challenge. I am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. :)

Anyone know the best place to get this "KD" Pine? I have looked online at home depot and lowe's and didn't see anything but it doesn't look like they have any of their wood listed. Also how much does this stuff run and can you get it in sheets that are about a half inch to an inch thick?

Back