Help me prove Chinchillas aren't Stupid Rodents

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beena

SPN lover/Winchester Girl
Hi there.
I work with a lady who screws up her face when I mention my Chins. She always says:"They're just stupid Rodents, why do you spend so much time and money on them? How can you love a rodent?"

I've explained that Chins are most definitely not dumb rodents, and they have personalities.

For instance: Once a week I don't have out of the cage play with my Chins. Every time I tell the older Chin, she looks right at me when I say no, and proceeds to empty her hay and throw it out of her cage, if she's really spunky she does it with her pellets instead. Absolutely annoying, but hilarious all the same.
I told her I was making this post, and printing your responses out to show her. If you don't mind that is :))
Thanks

Everyone will always have an opinion one way or the other. I think that if you love your chin and know you have a special connection that you already have more than your coworker. I think she might be jealous :D. Plus, anyone could argue that dogs/cats/some humans are just dumb mammals, but we all love each other nonetheless!!

Myzarandgemma: you're right. Thanks.

Saphire: That video is golden. I have a feeling I'm gonna be stuck in a YouTube chin viewing loop now lol

gus has so much personality its unreal, I mean when hes upset about being put back in his cage after playtime, he literally mopes on his ledges with his head hanging down or he turns his back on me and faces the back of his cage and when I try to see his face he turns his body away from me, its so funny and sad, and when I come home from work my girlfriend says that gus hears me come through the door and hears my voice( Im A Loud person) and he starts going crazy running up and down cage levels and sticking his nose out waiting for me to enter the room and when I do he actually climbs the cage on the inside and holds on with his underside exposed and waits for me to scratch it He is simply the best and I brag about him everyday at work nd I could careless what other people think about him or me loving him, Im blown away how addicting chinchillas are

I have videos of them coming when called and getting in their carriers, and one will run from the playroom, down the hall, make a left, open the pet gate and get in his cage, they are VERY smart and will take advantage of you if you forget that!

Some people just hate rodents. I know someone who's anti-rodent that doesn't even really like bunnies. You are going to be very hard-pressed to convince them otherwise. If that video doesn't do it, more than likely nothing will.

I kind of have the same problem, no one really understands why I love my chin so much because he's "just a rodent". Well in my case, Joey has more personality than my cat. Joey recognizes my voice and will get really excited when he hears me talk to him when I come home. He also tries to talk to me (I think) lol, he will move his mouth when I talk then stop when I do and as soon as I start talking again he starts moving his mouth again until he gets too excited and starts "popcorning" haha. Then when I don't let him out of his cage for playtime he'll sit in the corner of his cage and give me the stink eye. Whoever says chinchillas are just "stupid rodents" clearly have spent no time with one!

My mom has never met Chinny, but every phone conversation she always brings up that I should get rid of him. She thinks he's dirty and diseased. No matter what I say to contradict her. Some people will never understand and don't want to. It's sad though because chinchillas are amazing.

My boyfriend never called them "stupid rodents", but I could tell he didn't expect much before he met them. However, he just told me the other day how surprised he was when he saw how much chinchillas play, how funny they are and how each one has their own different personality. My chins really don't do anything amazing, but they definitely have their own quirks. It's a known fact that rodents are very intelligent and capable of doing many different tasks.

Just like everyone has said, some people will never be convinced otherwise. Most people are very receptive and curious when I mention my chinchillas. They find them interesting and not to mention ADORABLE. ;) You will always have those close-minded few who just see a dumb rodent. Who knows, maybe these people are just dumb themselves!hehe

Some people just hate rodents. I know someone who's anti-rodent that doesn't even really like bunnies. You are going to be very hard-pressed to convince them otherwise. If that video doesn't do it, more than likely nothing will.

Exactly. I would just tell crabby lady at work "look...you have your likes and I have my likes. I don't expect you to change your likes so please don't comment on mine."

Hi there.
I work with a lady who screws up her face when I mention my Chins.

Some people are afraid of chinchillas. Also it has only been 50 years or so since most people even considered having pets, the cat may have been loved but if anyone asked, it was there to catch mice. Same with a dog, it had a job to do. Anyway, you will never change her mind. I wouldn't talk about the chins to her

I have friends that act the same way. They cannot wrap their [tiny] minds around the fact that I love my little guy. Some people will never understand how great they really are!

My boyfriend has been interacting with my chin for almost a year now and he's still surprised at what a personality Max has! At least he's starting to get it!

Some people are saying you can never change a persons mind, and that's just not true. I would say the only way someone would be immovable would be if they actually had experienced chinchillas before. Think about what most people are familiar with when it comes to rodents; rats, mice and hamsters. They are smelly, disease carriers, often bite, and live for about 2 years.

So when I meet a skeptical person I usually start out by mentioning the qualities of chinchillas that make them stand out to me. They dont stink to high heaven like most rodents, they are not disease carriers, they love bathing and are fastidious, most can be potty trained, they live for up to 20 years, are thought to be hypoallergenic, and they are typically more friendly when untamed than most rodents.

As far as intelligence I have had clever chinchillas and not so clever ones. My current mosaic chin is as dumb as a rock but he is sweet, my black girl is mild as milk and clever. My first chinchilla is still by far the smartest I had owned, he learned several command words, his name, plus I had to keep his cage door looked with a padlock cause he figured out how to open it his first week, ect.

As far as personality chinchillas have about as much as any other small pet like a small dog or cat (i think chins actually behave a lot like cats, down to the curiosity), and each one is different.

Last edited:
Some people are afraid of chinchillas. Also it has only been 50 years or so since most people even considered having pets, the cat may have been loved but if anyone asked, it was there to catch mice. Same with a dog, it had a job to do. Anyway, you will never change her mind. I wouldn't talk about the chins to her

I don't talk to her about my Chins, she is usually in my office when she hears me talking to another co-worker about them.
I told her about this post, and she said she's now curious...

So, thank you to the people sharing their Chin stories :))

Latest posts

Back