Help me decide on a new cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureDVM

I have been wanting to get a new cage for a while now. Currently, Einstein has a Quality Cage Co. chinchilla townhome, which I really like. BamBam has a smaller cage that isn't as sturdy and I really want to upgrade his cage. I also would love to have their cages stacked on top of each other in order to save floor space.

At first I was considering getting a Ferret Nation and splitting it in half. My only issue is that the FN cages are a bit pricey, plus I would need to order Bass pans, which would add to the cost. Also, if I switched my chins to the FN, I would be downsizing Einstein's cage, which I don't want to do because he uses every inch of space in his current cage.

The other option I am considering is buying BamBam a chinchilla condo from Quality Cage and just setting it on top of Einstein's cage. That way, Einstein wouldn't have to downsize and BamBam would get a little larger cage.

The QC cage is considerably cheaper and I already know I like the quality of their cages. Plus, it comes with three nicely-sized wooden shelves. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Would there be any problem with just stacking the cages as I described?

Do you ever plan on housing the two together? Sorry, I don't know much about your backstory. The nice thing with the FN cage is that you can put them in and separate top and bottom, then open it up if you want them to be together. You can also attach a third story and give Einstein the top two and BamBam the bottom one... or something.

If you are keeping them separate and you don't want to get a FN, I would assume the QC cages would be the best way to go since you already know you like them. If you don't want to compromise Einstein's space and can't find anything to stack on top, maybe you could get BamBam the same cage and place them near each other? Yet again, I don't really know your backstory with housing, but maybe that could work?

Quality Cages Compnay cages can be stacked. We have two towers made up of three cages each and they work great. I love their cages.

Do you ever plan on housing the two together? Sorry, I don't know much about your backstory. The nice thing with the FN cage is that you can put them in and separate top and bottom, then open it up if you want them to be together. You can also attach a third story and give Einstein the top two and BamBam the bottom one... or something.

If you are keeping them separate and you don't want to get a FN, I would assume the QC cages would be the best way to go since you already know you like them. If you don't want to compromise Einstein's space and can't find anything to stack on top, maybe you could get BamBam the same cage and place them near each other? Yet again, I don't really know your backstory with housing, but maybe that could work?

Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on housing them together. I originally hoped to introduce them, but I have been unsuccessful and have decided to keep them separate for good.

Quality Cages Compnay cages can be stacked. We have two towers made up of three cages each and they work great. I love their cages.

Thanks, that is good to know! I think I'm definitely leaning more toward the QC cage. I love how their cages are perfect for chinchillas without requiring any modification.

I might be the voice of dissent. We have a QC chinchilla mansion and I haven't really been that impressed with the quality of it. I'm pretty sure we're not abusing the thing but we've had some bars break off and it feels kind of flimsy. Total pain to clean too! I'm looking at upgrading the other one's cage and I think I'll end up with a FN next go around.

I might be the voice of dissent. We have a QC chinchilla mansion and I haven't really been that impressed with the quality of it. I'm pretty sure we're not abusing the thing but we've had some bars break off and it feels kind of flimsy. Total pain to clean too! I'm looking at upgrading the other one's cage and I think I'll end up with a FN next go around.

That's interesting... I haven't had any issues with mine at this point. How long have you had yours?

I have been using Quality Cages for 8 years with no problems whatsoever. I agree that the mansion can be a pain to clean, especially if it has only one door. I would use the 2 door version or one of the smaller sizes. I have several of the Condos and stack them 3 high. This works great for me.

That's interesting... I haven't had any issues with mine at this point. How long have you had yours?

We picked it up used so I'm not sure how old it is. But to be honest I'm not sure I'd buy one new if the bars start breaking off. :/

It looked like it was in pretty good shape. And we clean it the way they recommend (soft wire brush, light scrubbing) no harsh chemicals...

Sometimes you can find the Ferret Nation cage on rollback at Wal-mart (I know....wal-mart?!?!?!?!) I bought mine off their website for $160 at the time. The prices fluctuate constantly with the cages one there. One week they are high, the next week, dirt cheap. Here is a link to the site:
http://www.walmart.com/search/searc....module.305715.constraint&search_constraint=0

Interesting. I didn't even know Walmart had the FN cages. I'll look into it!

I have been using Quality Cages for 8 years with no problems whatsoever. I agree that the mansion can be a pain to clean, especially if it has only one door. I would use the 2 door version or one of the smaller sizes. I have several of the Condos and stack them 3 high. This works great for me.

I can definitely see how the one-door mansion could be a pain. I opted for the two doors instead of just one on Einstein's townhome and I love it. I think the condo only comes with one door, but it is smaller so having one door shouldn't be too big of an issue, right?

We picked it up used so I'm not sure how old it is. But to be honest I'm not sure I'd buy one new if the bars start breaking off. :/

It looked like it was in pretty good shape. And we clean it the way they recommend (soft wire brush, light scrubbing) no harsh chemicals...

Hmmm....that's a bummer! Thanks for letting me know.

Back