Help me chin proof my room!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna_chin

My room is pretty big, and there's a bunch of things she could get under, such as my bed, underneath the dressers, etc.
I have pictures of what my room looks like right now. I just moved her into my room, so I'm going to let her roam around and adventure around her new room.
What should I do/put underneath my bed/dressers so she can't get under there?

Attachments

• IMAG0993.jpg
    IMAG0993.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0995.jpg
    IMAG0995.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0997.jpg
    IMAG0997.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0998.jpg
    IMAG0998.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0999.jpg
    IMAG0999.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 16
try and block off your bed with pillows, clothes that you dont wear anymore or old comforters, but make sure you clean and vacum under everything you block off just in case they do make it under, and unplug what you can and anything you cant unplug tape it up or cover with clothes blankets towels,etc, also scan your floor and make sure there is no crumbs of food of any sort or any chemicals or dead bugs and just watch her and also listen to her when they explore they sometimes make noise if they walk on something that crinkles, have fun but be careful

Even if she doesn't do it every time, they like chewing on furniture, walls and baseboards. Some more than others, but the damage adds up. =x Id use cut cardboard to protect the bottom foot or so of your furniture and not let her in a room with nice baseboards. I usually do the bathroom as there is less to chew.

Also I never let a chin run till they are tame, it makes taming a lot harder if you have to chase them around to catch em. My girl I catch with her dust bath too, that way she doesn't care that play time is over =)

With the bed and the dresser to get under, and probably some cords to chew elsewhere, might it be easier for you to buy a playpen? I'm not sure from the pictures how big your bed or dresser is, but just using my room as an example, it'd take every pillow in the house to block off under the bed and dresser, and even when I tried it at college when I had a much smaller room and smaller bed/dresser... the stinker squeezed behind the pillows and still got under the bed, and I had to get out the broom.... I found a playpen to be a much easier solution. That's just me though. I prefer the simple solution. For me, blocking off everything with pillows and making sure all cords were out of reach and nothing was getting chewed took considerably more effort than unfolding a playpen and sitting down in there with the chins.

The playpen was a good solution for us as well. I attach it around the front of her cage and I bought two extra sets of panels for it, so really it can be as big as the room if I want it to be. Makes it much easier knowing i don't have to worry about her chewing the furniture, door or baseboards.

Back