Help ledge covering for bumblefoot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubyrolo

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place but I need some help.

One of my chinchillas has the very early start of bumblefoot. I've taken her to the vet and she has gotten medicine. My problem is finding something to make the ledges softer so it doesn't happen again or get worse.

I tried covering the ledges with some anti-pill fleece, however Luna chews on everything! She sits on it and pulls and bits and just won't stop. She doesn't get big pieces off or anything but even just a little fuzz every now and that bothers me. I don't want her to get sicker because she gets the fleece.(I've already taken it off the ledges)

I just can't think of anything else to make the ledges softer for her feet. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried putting bedding on the ledges too but naturally it doesn't stay put with all their moving around.

What are the ledges and the bottom of your cage made out of? I could be wrong but from what I have heard bumble foot is typically caused by wire floors/shelves, rather than how hard the surface is. Is that what you have in your cage? If so, you might consider changing cages or covering the wire bottom of the cage with tile. Also, replacing any wire shelves with wooden shelves would be a good idea. If you do not have any wire surfaces, then I am not sure what else you can do so hopefully someone else will chime in

Both the ledges and bottom of the cage are just made of plastic. I have several smaller wooden ledges around the cage but the main ones plastic. I also try to keep at least an inch of wood chip bedding in the bottom. I don't use the carefresh paper bedding because again she like to eat it.

Latest posts

Back