Help, I'm not ready for this!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moji-n-Rocco

Hello, it was a rather eventful morning! I woke up to my cat cornering something and finding out it was my very own kit (Suprise!!)! I thought they were both males.... Naturally. I even thought I knew how to sex them..... and I researched and checked, MULTIPLE TIMES! The momma seems to be doing well, sometimes kind of "barks" at the kits (theres 2) but it only seems to happen when they are searching for the milk on the momma. I am a college student so crazy schedule but I am going to try my hardest to be there more often for them! But I NEED ADVICE! What do I do???????? Help me please!

I have only had chinchillas 3 months, but I am trying really hard!

First off you need another cage. Separate the adult male and female. Females can get pregnant again right after giving birth (happened to mine). She may even be pregnant already. So separate them as soon as you can then start a 111 day count.

What kind of cage are momma and the kits in? Kits rly shouldnt have ledges or anything to hop up on at this age. They are quite clumsy and can rly hurt themselves.

Also concerning the cage, kits can slip through 1 inch cage bars like they dont even exsist. You need something with 1/2 or less. Or you can buy some hardware cloth (its kinda like a screen) and attach it to the inside of the cage. It must be inside because if its on the outside the kits can still try to squeeze through the bars and get hurt.

How much do the kits weight? You should monitor that and make sure they are gaining weight.

Hey thanks for the reply! I put down something to block off the top from the bottom. So the babies and momma are on bottom and dad is up top. The spacing is larger so I have cardboard up temporarily till I can make it to the store. Ledges and shelves have been removed, food is down, water is available. Tonight when i have time I will remove the wheel and get things arranged and I have to buy a scale tonight.

The wheel needs to come out now, the hardware cloth needs to be installed now, not when you have time. The kits will get out again. they can chew right through the cardboard in minutes and then they will be cat chow. If those babies get on the wheel and mom hops in and runs, the babies will go flying.

Momma is barking becasue the babies are rough when she nurses them. Check her nipples and the surrounding area. If there is any redness or scratches put some vitamin e oil on the area to soothe it. Check her often. The oil will not hurt the babies. If it does not improve or get worse, get momma to the vet 0 she could have mastitis. Once her m ilk is fully in (it could take up to 3 days) the babies will settle down. they are just really hungry and are trying to get more milk.

Well it is unfortunate one got out one day while I was at work and my roommates cat got it. So one passed away. I have taken extra precautions in protecting my remaining one. It's is going well, gaining weight and becoming more adventurous and playful! Momma is doing well but the daddy is becoming very distant from me since I separated the two. He never had s problem with me touching, petting or holding but now he avoids me at all cost. It is so sad 😞😞 I really wish I could put them back together. But I know I can't. :(

I could really use some advice on what to do at this point and beyond with the pair. I have a male and female. I feel terrible that i have to keep them separated and they are constantly chattering and looking for the other. I have a large enough cage I could house then separately but I feel like it's torture. I don't want to get rid of one of them. I've heard castration is risky. Please someone help me.

Neutering has its risks as done any surgery. Chins have shallow respiratory systems and sometimes dont respond well to anesthesia. It can be done, but some dont make it through; or start to fail during recovery.

Best bet is to keep the genders separate. Maybe even go as far as to make sure the male cant see the girls for a while. Its probably only going to get him worked up anyway.

I am needing to travel for 2 hours this weekend home. My roommate always takes care of them but i don't want her to look after the baby and momma. So i was going to take them with me. I have two small cages for travel but will it be safe? I need to know ASAP

Back